HSI broker wanted

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by joesan, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Very interesting thread. I also began to look at HSI and made my first simluator trade on it today.

Currently I trade NQ and like it, but have my own reason for looking at HSI: I live in GMT +6 TZ and have to trade at night to trade US markets. Of course after a full day of usual human activity brain is not as fresh and good working as it would be in the morning (HSI trades from 7:45 my time).

So it would also be interesting to hear about unique HSI features. It's volatility is sure one of these, today I witnessed a 300 point decline in a matter of several minutes and then 200 points recover.

It looks really good from risk/reward point of view, cause profits definately are worth to let run far, but I still have a couple of questions to people who trade it:

you said that 5 contracts without slippage is not possible, but how adverse is this slippage on average if using usual stop orders? I agree that maybe it's worth to use stop-limit and limit for entries, but for exits guess it could be dangerous, cause what if price doesn't fill at my price and then one of those 200 points moves occur? :)

Best wishes
    Janis

#21     Feb 23, 2007
  2. Hi Redduke,

Would love to trade Dax one day, more homework first. In HSI, I think you can pull something up to 20 within 3~5 tic. If you trade support and resistance you can pull 30+

Sometimes you can see 100 or more orders on some resistance points (mostly special numbers such as "hundreds"), once I saw 250+ orders being break through in 30 seconds. :eek:

Forward month is quite dry, see the graph. You can easily brought or sold the list. Check out the graph; it was trading at around 20660~670 in the last few minutes, then someone bumped it to 20700. (The top yellow line is open (auction), and the bottom line the low of the day.)

#22     Feb 23, 2007
  3. In a mubslice, anything is possible. I had slippage like 20 points once and I was lucky. Nowadays I just get myself out before the stop is hit in a mubslice. IHMO, if you don't trade counter trend (long term) you shouldn't get into those kind of situation (that often)

I understand the hesitation of trading across time frame. Being in HK, if I trade Dax that means I would have to continue to DAX @ 4pm, and right until 1am. Hope some distance relatives bump out of school, LOL

#23     Feb 23, 2007
  4. RedDuke

RedDuke

Willleung,

Since HIS expires every month, March contract should be the most liquid right now, is this correct?

Thanks,
    redduke

#24     Feb 23, 2007
  5. ids

ids

Coming Monday is a rollover day. It is always a day before expiration.

#25     Feb 23, 2007
  6. My round trip is 170ms still.

The contract finishes on the day before the last business day of the contract month. Volume stays with that contract until the morning of closure. In the afternoon the day before closure (Monday) Feb will almost certainly still be slightly stronger.

So I will go to March on the morning of Tuesday 27th (HK dates).

#26     Feb 23, 2007
  7. As Kiwi had said, it's usually the afternoon before expiry. I am surpised that volume for the forward month went up to 40k (etc) today, it should be less than 20k in normal trading day. Guess everyone want to be on March when next week started. I changed to March this morning.

#27     Feb 23, 2007
  8. Kiwi, you still on limits orders?

#28     Feb 23, 2007
  9. Oh, just a thought,

Even a volume of 40k for the forward month, the market is acturally dry compare to 40k in the current month contract in normal trading days.

Wild guess is directional trades across the weekend. Next Monday, Shanghi open for the first time after Chinese New Year. In Hong Kong, people do expect the market to open high after CNY, I guess it will be the same for Shanghi.

HSI is so heavily inflence by Shanghi (SSEA, SSEC) nowadays, as many companies listed on both exchanges.

Have a good weekend.

#29     Feb 23, 2007
  10. RedDuke

RedDuke

I am so hung up on trading DAX March contract, that I did not realize that I should be looking at HSI February one, and not March. All those nasty spikes that I saw, were in the front month and not current one. February actually looks great, I just glanced at several days. I am actually getting really exited about trading it, since it falls into my time zone perfectly.

I guess, the best way to get the feet wet is to open IB account with Button Trader front end. Are there any other rock solid front end recommended for IB? I did not see NinjaTrader as approved third party.

Regards,
    redduke

#30     Feb 23, 2007