HP/Compaq or Dell?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrackPipe, Aug 31, 2011.

1. john33

john33

I think they're similar, a better option is a home built machine.

#11     Aug 31, 2011
  2. I just sold a Dell P690 with dual 2.66ghz Xeon CPUs, WD Raptor 10krpm hdd and W7 and Office 2007 and 6GB RAM for not much more than those machines are going for.

I could source and sell 100x more - probably not at the same rate but not very much more.

Just buy a Dell or HP box, take delivery and FORMAT/REINSTALL everything.

#12     Sep 1, 2011
  3. Hmm... I think doing that you will void the support from their call centers. There goes the advantage of having call centers in the US.

#13     Sep 1, 2011
  4. to make things very simple for everyone here are the best options IMHO:

buy dell precision, pay middle of range compared to below options, good support from usa,
    buy from specialty co., pay most but have absolute best support and never worry about anything
    build your own, pay least, no support, must have expertise and willingness to do this

i opt for the second option. i know i'm spending more but spending an extra grand over the course of a few years is nothing considering that w/o the computer you can't trade.

#14     Sep 1, 2011
  5. CrackPipe

CrackPipe Guest

yeah i understand your valid points but im not that technically inclined so dont really want to start building my own pc - i just want something reliable. i dont need 16 Gig of ram or 1 TB of disk space as the most advanced apps i run are ensign windows and TT X-Trader which dont require that much (2 Gig ram, 3.2 GHz memory)

im tempted to go with the hp simply cos im fed up with talking to a dell rep with a list of say 3-4 questions,m and after every question he/she tries to close with ' do you want to place your order now?'

the hp guy seemed more interested in making sure i had the right product than closing a deal.

#15     Sep 1, 2011
  6. RL8093

RL8093

I see from your post that:
    1) you are unlikely to perform your own service
    2) you are easily annoyed

While the HP sales rep may be better than Dell, you'll probably never deal with them again. Otoh, you may find yourself regularly dealing with service people. When I asked the HP sales rep if they had any US-based support (the last time I was looking for a box), she told me they didn't. Unless you enjoy trying to make a point to someone with a potentially poor grasp of the English language (over & over), Dell at least gives you the option of someone who was born speaking English....

All the best,
    R

#16     Sep 1, 2011
  7. The warranty is on the hardware, not the software. When I call up my Dell sales rep and buy from the Outlet/Refurb stock I order my machines without an OS and/or with the OEM media but no image on the HDD.

The deal is they ONLY warranty the system as configured (hardware) by the factory - so if you buy a Dell Precision with XP and 2GB RAM and you go out and put W7 on it then put 16GB RAM + RAID card and/or SSD in it then you have problems with the machine - they are only "supposed" to diagnose/service/warranty machines as they came from the factory.

#1, you could always (what I do) just keep all the OEM hardware (hard drive, processor & RAM) in a box for later and if you have an issue just return it to factory before the tech arrives.

or #2, just buy an optioned-out machine from them.

This is not true at all - both HP and Dell's "gold" or top-tier support (that you get with same-day or next-day warranty support) is all based in TX or in the midwest. They both have specialty high-end call centers here in the USA.

Retail & small business stuff is all overseas but if you buy a Dell Precision with a warranty you will get someone in the USA - there is actually a very small group of only 8-12 people that handle all the phone/chat support for Dell Precision Gold.

#17     Sep 2, 2011
  8. CrackPipe

CrackPipe Guest

lol. your points are faultless and very observant!

#18     Sep 2, 2011
  9. If you do business with Dell, use Dell Small Business. If you don't have a business, you can just enter your name where it says to enter business name.

They have incredible service right here in the USA. They go the extra mile in every respect.

Dell Home blows.

#19     Sep 2, 2011