Howto: GNU Plot

Discussion in 'App Development' started by nitro, Mar 2, 2013.

1. nitro

nitro

I have two signals, x, xfilter stored on disk as signal.dat and filter.dat. For example xfilter is an MA(5).

Say x has 100 data points. Say xfilter has 95 data points. How do I tell GnuPlot to shift the plot to the right on the filter so that I can see one signal ontop of the other starting from the correct place?

The two signals are on disk in their corresponding text file, one column. I have figured out how to plot them just not translated correctly:

Code:
    gnuplot> plot "signal.dat" title "Signal",\
                  "filter.dat" title "Filter"

This works fine, but filter displays on the plot at the same place to the left as signal, which is wrong.

Is there a way to "pad" filter.dat with five (n) "empty" values so that gnuplot knows to leave those points blank? Or is this done with a command right from gnuplot?

Thanks!

2. I take it you aren't storing times in your files? If your file format was

<time> <signal value>

Then you could plot multiple signals like you want and they'd line up properly. The gnu plot for doing the plot would then look like

Plot "file1" using 1:2, "file2" using 1:2

Failing that, I'd have whatever script write the MA(n) file to write n zeros first.

3. nitro

nitro

It would be very simple to label the points. But why with time stamps. Say I am using gnu plot to draw a sin wave and a cos wave that start at different x values? I will try it though starting the filter with label 5 and the signal with label 0.

Putting zeroes in front would make the left hand side jump suddenly from zero to value.

4. nitro

nitro

MoreLeverage that worked. Simply labeling the points 1,2,3...N for signal and 5,6,7...N for filter and using 1:2 in the plot command did the trick. Everything lines up correctly on the left.

Thanks!