How's your economy holding up, Michigan?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bond_trad3r, Apr 5, 2009.

1. We have a place here - [​IMG][​IMG]

The inland lake is Glen Lake. The large one is Lake Michigan.

I am within 30 minutes, max, 5 minutes minimum, of up to 14 smaller, inland lakes, and a very nice, clean part of Lake St. Clair, which is part of Lake Huron, from my permanent home.

If you like the water, boating, sailing, or beaches, it's hard to beat Michigan, especially in the summer, which are very nice here.

There's no doubt that the heavy reliance on automotive activity and the abundance of antiquated, inefficient and business-hostile unions have slammed Michigan hard in a world where trade barriers came down, incredibly cheap labor was unleashed in Korea, China and Mexico, among other countries, however.

Having said all of that, this is an amazingly beautiful state. Once you get about an hour, let alone 5 or 7 hours (yes, Michigan is a big state, head to toe) north of the industrial sections, the air and water and terra firma is incredibly clean.

There's a reason big money from Chicago has gobbled up the Gold Coast of Michigan from Charlevoix to Petoskey to Mackinac.

We've also got 1/5th of the world's fresh water, so good luck to those of you, especially in the southwest or Georgia and Florida.

#31     Apr 6, 2009
  2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which ones are Detroit, which are Mumbai?

[​IMG]

That's about right!!

#32     Apr 6, 2009
  3. Trick question, they're all detroit!! haha

#33     Apr 6, 2009
  4. Oh c'mon there are a trillion lakes like that found in every fucking part of the country. I see nothing special. As for fresh water, desalinization is the way to go. Any company which prefers the technology will grow ten times faster than Microsoft!

#34     Apr 6, 2009
  5. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

I'm graduating from MSU in about a month and have yet to find a job. I would love to stay in Michigan, but it seems like I may be forced out. It just seems like a vicious cycle. They want mich grads to stay in michigan, but unless you want to work at Best Buy, Abercrombie or deliver sandwiches from Jimmy John's, you have no choice but to move out of state. It seems here that's about all that piece of paper is worth anyways. There are so many MSU grads working retail in the local mall, it's unbelievable.

#35     Apr 6, 2009
  6. Governor's mansion?:p

#36     Apr 6, 2009
  7. Lakes are everywhere. No one cares. I imagine Alaska has 100 times the lakes of Michigan but guess what, no one wants to fucking live there so lake front property goes for $20 an acre. Plus in Florida I think we have man made lakes for Real Estate purposes. Nothing new, nothing special.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is only one Chicago:

[​IMG]

Only one New York:

[​IMG]

Only one San Francisco:

[​IMG]

#37     Apr 6, 2009
  8. I have a serious question for the people in Mich.

I read somewhere that recently the median home price (in detroit?) was like $7,500. that is one month's pay for a UAW member - working or not since they get 100% pay to not work. So how tough can it be if you can guy a home every month?

#38     Apr 6, 2009
  9. Only one Dallas:

[​IMG]

Only one Miami:

[​IMG]

And only one detroit, Michigan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#39     Apr 6, 2009
  10. LoL @