Howmany stocks do you hold at one time?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chipmunk, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Ok...so how many stocks do you hold at one time? 6,10,20,40+

too few = too high a risk

To many...poor performance.

What's the "sweet spot" for you?

2. wow..thx:confused:

3. 21.

:p

4. I think the important point here is: 21 is an odd number. If you hold 4, for instance, 2 would go up and two would go down. Best to own 5, then you could have 3 up and 2 down but if 3 were down and 2 were up then you have to increase the number of stocks to 7 and hope you could have 4 up and 3 down. so on and so forth until you become your own best mutual fund and only have to beat some benchmark for bragging rights and losses are just an illusion.

5. Two.

It's a Fib number.

But I would really like to bring it down to One.

Which is also a Fib number.

Seriously... I only look at 5 stocks to trade. I typically enter 1 position, and max 2.

Too high a risk? If you think so. I am a very short term trader. I don't leave my chair when I am in.

6. One.

ES Futures is all I need.

7. That's actually 500 stocks..

8. Igor1

Igor1

Not more than 5. Anything more is a disaster waiting to happen.

9. ok...i am not talking about day trading here. End of day holding for the 6-12 week+ moves. I presume you are talknig about day trading?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not more than 5. Anything more is a disaster waiting to happen.

10. I hold one ETF, which is EWZ, seven different accounts. Everyday, I concentrate on selling two accounts, then repurchasing. My purpose is to accumulate additional shares without adding new money.

#10     Mar 25, 2010