How'd you do in August

Discussion in 'Trading' started by PohPoh, Aug 29, 2007.

How did you do in August

1. Up BIG!!!

49 vote(s)
    38.3%
  2. Up a little

22 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Flat

16 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Down a little

12 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Down BIG!!!

17 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Fuck off Asshole...none of your business

12 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. <i>"Next year would take a bongo beating vacation with money managers or go on a fly fishing trip to Montana's streams or go snorkeling with Sting Rays in Cayman Islands. I will do what the money managers do.

Put my cash in T-bills and money market accounts earning a safe 5 % a year. No need to take a pounding and volatility and absorb losses and trying hard to pull up. This is an exercise in stupidity.

I maintain a healthy 6-9 % return in my portfolio per month, its obliterated by this 300 point down and 300 point up days in the market. The market is too volatile, Vix at 23.7 is still very high for predictable and consistent outcomes."</i>

You've repeated this similar mantra across several threads already. What will you do if VIX levels remain between 25 and 60 for the next two years?

Some of us traded from 1999 thru 2003 without ever seeing a VIX reading below 20 before a big market plunge spiked it back upwards. A period of decades'-low volatility which just ended was exactly that... decades' low records.

Might better get used to what we're seeing now. Could easily be the new reality (and more) thru 2010

#21     Aug 29, 2007
  2. empee

empee

i dont think the sideways "crazy" chop is necessarily indicative of the VIX, that is, there can be times that it flops and chops in smaller ranges with a lower VIX, it can be great directional trading with a high VIX as well. So, basically, you can't preclude good "trading conditions" (aka not what happened today/yesterday) on the vix alone.

#22     Aug 29, 2007
  3. so many people voted for the first choice makes me wonder

#23     Aug 29, 2007
  4. Very interesting...
    90% of traders lose money...
    but almost 50% of the traders here had a BIG August, in one of the toughest trading months in a while...

#24     Aug 29, 2007

5. Most people are not honest. They are still not honest to the losses taken. Its been a brutal month in trading. One of the toughest month this year in 2007.

#25     Aug 30, 2007
  6. About 30k though most of that was yesterday when I called the market up strong on here well before the open. Dropped a couple in the Aussie today maybe its time to clock off.

Cheers

#26     Aug 30, 2007
  7. Lot of bull shitters on ET.

#27     Aug 30, 2007
  8. we're all armchair experts arent we?

#28     Aug 30, 2007
  9. Depends on your trading style. August was the best trading month I have seen in years.

#29     Aug 30, 2007
  10. Best month for me in my 4 month long history - if I will not make someting stupid during next 2 days /but until now every month was better than previous, last 2 are even positive/

#30     Aug 30, 2007