how would you sell a working system, if you had a better one

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by confused-NOT, Dec 1, 2006.

1. You better hold on to it -- god forbid your better system stops working, you'll have to settle for a doubling only every four months or so. Sucks, doesn't it? :D

#31     Dec 3, 2006
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

I think he can always just steal another working system... :)

#32     Dec 3, 2006
  3. Grant

Grant

CN,

Presumably, you’re looking for more money than your profitable futures system provides by selling an inferior (but profitable) system. If the futures makes 100% pa, and the fx makes 50% pa why should someone want the lesser? Why do you want to sell the inferior system? It may not be the most efficient approach (to echo Pekelo’s point).

Maybe one way to maximise your return is the following. Let’s assume someone is willing to invest $100,000 on a 50/50 profit basis. To avoid disclosing the system(s) you trade on their behalf via a joint account and power of attorney (you would receive statements but they would perhaps receive a consolidated version – if this is allowed). Your cut on the futures account will be $50,000 pa, the fx $25,000.

If someone is making 50% pa, then on a $100,000 account, a cost of $50,000 pa is not unreasonable. $50,000 pa for not disclosing your system sounds OK to me. The problem is, without a track record, convincing someone of its viability may be difficult.

If your system is that good, one way to reassure a potential investor is to offer to underwrite their losses, possibly by matching their investment in the same account. You’ve everything to gain, they’ve nothing to lose by investing in an unseen, unproven (from their position) system. And you won’t have the problem of what to do with the fx system

Grant.

#33     Dec 3, 2006
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

My point was actually the OPPOSITE, it makes sense to sell the inferior system. Why would you sell the superior system, if you can make money with it anyway?

The only time it makes sense doing it if someone is willing to pay so much money for it that you are compensated for at least a few years of profits. Or if you suspect that that system might not perform that well under ALL market circumstances, not that robust. This would also be the reason for keeping the inferior system, once the better system stops performing well, he could switch back to the original system.

But if the new system is robust and there is no reason to believe that a few years down the road it will stop performing, then there is no point in keeping the old system and not selling it. After all any system can stop working at one time, even his old one...

#34     Dec 3, 2006
  5. Hey illiquid, why don't you and I buy it...?

#35     Dec 3, 2006
  6. Grant

Grant

Pekelo,

My point is CN doesn’t have to sell or disclose either system but still derive the benefit. This is also possibly the safest
    option.

Grant.

#36     Dec 3, 2006

7. CN

Why does someone making 100% in 2.5-3 months have to sell anything? Surely it is not worth the hassle and time to a trader like yourself. How much do you expect to make on the sale when compared to your sensational Futures trading returns? On the Es you can scale up to what ever you like.

:confused:

#37     Dec 3, 2006
  8. I dunno, it would take at least 4 years to turn 5k into 20 million -- do ya think it's really worth the effort?

#38     Dec 3, 2006
  9. If you gots' the money I gots' the time :)

(I'm humming the song...signs signs everywhere a sign...imagine that me working for you).

#39     Dec 3, 2006
  10. You could go the SOP route with this.

The usual is one where it is telemarketed for you and you get a minimum of sign ups per cycle.

They package it for you, sell it for you, and you have to obligate yourself for 6 weeks as a support person. Being a support person means you take 1 hour a week in calls for the six weeks.

Most corporations who field these plans have an array of clients, so they are telemarketing to people who are looking over a range of possible packages.

The packagers are CTA's. They fly to your location to do the package.

This is all done with SOP contracts.

It is their custom to call you, however. You can work around that, possibly.

This involves making more money than has been mentioned in this thread.

#40     Dec 3, 2006