how would you sell a working system, if you had a better one

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by confused-NOT, Dec 1, 2006.

1. You can contact the owner, Matthew Klein, directly through the site and discuss your situation with him.

#21     Dec 1, 2006
  2. Just sent him email

I will post his response

hmm.... I wonder if I need his permission to do that

nah who cares :D

#22     Dec 1, 2006
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

How about hiring someone like a student to trade it for you? He can only access to execute the trades but not withdrawing money from the broker's account and you pay him like $10 an hour or whatever.

Try to employ a student/relative who:

1. Doesn't have money on his own, thus won't steal your system.
    2. Is not interested in trading, he just do it for the money. (I assume it is better to execute trades for a student than flipping burgers)

This way you have a fellow forever. If he quits you just employ another...

Since its a forex system it goes 24 hours a day I assume, so a student could do it in his sparetime, not necessery in the 9-4 pm timeframe.

I am not sure why you want to use Collective2, if you don't want to sell the system there. Just to have a trackrecord, you can classify your system as a "test" system this way there can NOT be subscribers, but the record is still shown. Or you can make the subscription fee so high, that no normal person would subscribe...

#23     Dec 2, 2006
  4. I don't want to segue too far into any sort of discussion involving scalability of systems, but how much do you anticipate the buyer to make over the course of a 10 year run of the system? Doubling every four months seems rather ambitious. What sort of return do you get with your main system to make this one so not worth your time?

#24     Dec 2, 2006
  5. Brincka

Brincka

Do you really think that by looking at statements one could figure out your methods? Have you considered asking for a trading partner and simply taking a percentage of what is generated?

#25     Dec 3, 2006
  6. yes I do believe that by looking at statement one can figure it out

quite frankly, one of the systems I used before for equities was stolen by me from another trader

I did it by examining closely his trades

which I had access to (don't ask :D )

#26     Dec 3, 2006
  7. yes good logical deduction on your part.

my futures system does 100% return in 2.5-3 months,

I do that by placing careful, but very leveraged day-trades about 2 times a week

for example both friday and tomorrow monday are not trading days for me

because I am not able to ascertain with high probability using my technicals, which side ES will pick

its the old story, do you go for few but quality

or do you go for quantity

#27     Dec 3, 2006
  8. Confused NOT,

so you stole someones strategy and now you want to prevent somebody from doing the same trick on you.
    God will get you one day.

>>> quite frankly, one of the systems I used before for equities >>> was stolen by me from another trader

If you think that your strategy is so straightforward then why not try automating it.
    I will help you automate and steal your strategy :)
    now how does that sound :)

#28     Dec 3, 2006
  9. ssblack

ssblack

interesting "dilemma" :)

You need to find someone that doesn't need the money. That could be a number of people, including a fellow trader. Because if they have something of their own that outperforms what you have, then there is no need for them to want to rip you off.

is this automated, by the way?

wish i could give you better advice, but good luck with your problem.

#29     Dec 3, 2006
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

Thinking about it, it is really a stupid dilemma.
    The system for you right now is worthless, because by using it instead of the new system you are relatively losing money compared to your better system. So you basicly risk nothing by trying to sell it.

It is like having an older and a newer computer. Unless you can use both at the same time, there is no point in using the old one if the new one does everything better.

So just sell it...

#30     Dec 3, 2006