How would you play this type of resistance

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by cashclay, Jun 9, 2018.

1. tomorton

tomorton

This is the opposite of Martingale.

#21     Jun 11, 2018
  2. pipeguy

pipeguy

Opposite to martingale is not to trade at all, I mean guaranteed loss and guaranteed deposit untouched is the very trade-off where many traders go wrong.
    What are your results in the long run? Above breakeven?

#22     Jun 12, 2018
  3. tomorton

tomorton

Martingale demands enlarging losing positions, increasing capital risk. Pyramiding means adding to winning positions, without increasing capital risk beyond initial limited amount. If this wasn't long-term profitable, I wouldn't have mentioned it. But note that it can only be profitable long-term, as it depends on a small percentage of continuing trends that make exceptional returns possible.

#23     Jun 13, 2018
  4. pipeguy

pipeguy

What you say is determining an inception of very long-term trend positive for you and adding increment bids as it evolves in the right side. In my view it becomes extremely difficult to determine what you should when original position is still in profit, while next one caught by short-term trend reversal and goes into negative. Gains from former position works as collateral to latter if we take capital untouched. Instead of taking on decision you take two - what to do with the position which is in profit and second which may lose.

You can with same ease open on big long-term position which lot size equal to the sum of "pyramided" ones, saving on transaction costs.

It just don't make sense to me to use incremental bidding on trend in terms of complicatedness of multiple decision making

#24     Jun 14, 2018
    ElectricSavant likes this.
  5. proactive trading Vs. reactive trading is directly related to the timeframe used imho

#25     Jun 14, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  6. %%
    And since the market[SPY+ QQQ.....] is in a bull market; not a good uptrender@ all. And when you have much bigger sell volume/candles. in a sideways= slop chop trend; i would keep looking. Have seen better longs + shorts this year .NOT a prediction.:cool::cool:

#26     Jun 15, 2018
  7. pipeguy

pipeguy

#27     Jun 18, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  8. %%
    @20/20 hindsight it looks good for 1999[$100/+; BUT 1999 winners MSFT+ some other winners are still doing fine. BUT moving from 2 to $5 in two days + when they slop +stall around $5, its real tricky for shorts + longs.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    #28     Jun 18, 2018
  9. Xela

Xela

No disrespect, but I think we kind of gathered that when you used the words "sort of Martingale stuff": it has absolutely nothing to do with that at all ... more the opposite, in a sense.

It isn't that, either.

It's simply a very valid and reasonable method of adding to already-winning positions, without ever increasing the net risk beyond that at the point of the original entry.

#29     Jun 18, 2018
    Lukas V and murray t turtle like this.
  10. %%
    The people that profit, on ''sorta like Martingale stuff'' really dont consider it gambling. Some Large funds scale in, even if the price goes down-[ within strict limits like 1/+%....] but that works better if one is paid on gross assets; + Ela most dont do it with stock under $5, too much like lotto.

Another problem; the funds that do that may buy something, like, do it with dividends, no disrespect, but that one has never paid dividends. Good question cash Clay, Mr Pipe; overhead supply, can get one in trouble; even if 1999 buyers are out.:cool::cool:

#30     Jun 18, 2018