How would you define "scalping"?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by sgsaxton, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Strictly speaking it happens on the floor of the exchanges but I define it anywhere form 10 - 15 pips at a clip, a half dozen times or more a day. I've heard others say 40- 50 pips but there doesn't seem to be a standard definition when it comes to forex. What are your thoughts?

Steve

2. I think scalping is opening/closing a trade quickly and zapping 2 to 4 points.

Can be 10 - 15 pips too but that is on the far end of the spectrum.

40 - 50 point is not a scalp, that is more like a small range position trade.

I friend of mine who did nothing but scalping - he had a master system - would take 2 to 4 pips a clip. But, I think it's a waste of time because you're giving your broker 50% of your profits per trade.

Eventually that adds up.

I used to scalp as little as 1-pip. Usually up to 10-pts. But, without getting a bigger chunk per trade you're living to support your broker.

Forex is an excellent market to scalp though - especially EUR/USD.

Good luck,

theX

3. Isn't that a shame....... owell, the people that trade Forex will one day get smart.

4. Actually, neither FXCM nor Oanda allows scalping. It's explicitly stated in the agreements.

If you must scalp, your options are basically: 1) currency futures; 2) forex ECNs; 3) trading across accounts with more than one forex market maker (e.g., open and "close" a trade on different platforms).

5. Ebo

Ebo

It only upsets the Broker when you actually make money scalping!

:D

6. bitrend

bitrend

That's the reason why Brokers don't like Mr. Buffet because he didn't do scalping!:D

7. That's correct, sKaLpZ. It all has to do with size. Trade size. There are pips, and then there are pips. It is well established that below certain size levels, Oanda's automated platform hardly begins to take notice and would be indifferent to virtually any games you might be playing. Whether they involve scalping 1000s and 1000s of so-called pips, or not.

8. You can do pretty much anything you want on demo.

9. Oh, really?

Give us an example, then! If trading profitably (even on a simulator) is so easy.

LMAO :D

Come on, Illiquid, let's see some results. Anything!

Help us out, here. :)

Results! Results! Results!

Give us something! Besides calling me "Coinz" and "sKaLpZ." :D

x

10. Okay.

Make 64 demo accounts. Right before next NFP are released, go long eur/usd in half of them, go short in other half. Throw out the ones that are losers by the end of the day. For the next 6 months, do the same thing before every NFP release.

After 6 months, you will have one single demo account that will have a very nice track record to show other people and perhaps sell whatever it is you are paid to sell.

Now tell me, does the above sound at all familiar? Does that explain the wavelength of every new coinz personality?

gg

#10     Mar 25, 2006