How would the Markets react to an Israeli strike on Iran?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mahram, Jan 20, 2006.

1. that would mark new independence day in the US. markets would rally big time knowing we get an extra day off the following year.

#41     Jan 22, 2006
  2. Those Mullahs will be taken out and Iran will return to a secular government.

Iran is the most pro western country in the mid east. The people are growning weary of the Mullahs.

The weaker a country's government is, the more brutal it is in dealing with its own people.

Iran is close to collaspe, it just needs a push.

John

#42     Jan 22, 2006
  3. Pardon me but I have never heard Bush say God told him to do anything. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant and were referring to the Iranian leader.

French leaders are taking bribes from Iran just like from Iraq. They are talking tough but in the end they will back out and try to blame America for it. How do I know this?? The French are predictable and have no honour.

France is going down the tubes and can not be counted on. In the end they will do what they feel with help their own skin the most and that means giving in as usuaually. Just like they did to the Nazi's.

John

#43     Jan 22, 2006
  4. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

Well, it’s not just Kuwait. They all suddenly doubled their reserve figures in the late 80s because of OPEC exporting based on reserve quotas. So Venezuela and Iran’s figures are inflated as well. The relative difference in reserves between nations is probably more accurate than the actual numbers themselves.

Still, if Iraq has a third of what Saddam quoted, it can allow Western powers time to evolve their energy policies away from the dependency on Islamist and Communist regimes.

#44     Jan 22, 2006
  5. You must make a killing in the french market then...

#45     Jan 22, 2006
  6. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

Perhaps there would be a general selloff followed by a rally in the equities indexes, like what happened after the London bombings. During the rally, there would be a rotation toward companies that are perceived to profit from this event. The magnitude and ratio of the selloff/rally may depend on where the S&P is at the time.

While the events are terrible and people and nations are hurt, it has little to do with the fundamentals of listed companies and usually does not change the soundness of global economies.

#46     Jan 22, 2006
  7. toc

toc

The only logic for attack on Iran is that now AlQueda is pretty much broken and crushed, if not finished, so US might want to get rid of mullahs in Iran also if mere bombing campaigns on nuke labs can do so. I doubt that however, such attacks only weaken the general population and strengthen the despots in power. To halt Iran on its tracks is another logic, be it 2 or 6 years from the bomb technology.

#47     Jan 22, 2006
  8. No, you didn't misunderstand me at all. Bush has made it clear that he is driven by religious convictions and he has made statements to the effect, that his actions are sanctioned by God. And it is by design he has spoken this way, to signal to the Islamic fascists that he is an implacable foe.

And no, I have neither the time nor the inclination to dig up such statments and provide them for your pleasure.

#48     Jan 22, 2006
  9. Sell the rumor, buy the fact.

Short S&P & buy bonds, then rotate into oil/energy & commodity producers, short transports, consumer discretionaries. As oil price rises, mideast wealth likely to buy more XAU, so bullish for metals.

#49     Jan 22, 2006
  10. BDGBDG

BDGBDG

Why wait until then to buy gold. Both gold and oil are going to be up drastically this week. Buy gold and oil ASAP. It is a slam dunk.

#50     Jan 22, 2006