How would I do this?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cashmoney69, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Basically we had a 'group' of about 30 members at one point. The problem was that there were 5 members MAX that actually gave a shit and did stuff for the group. I started this group and at first it was great and then later you sit there and think - why am I doing all this work when noone else cares? So, I took a step back and let someone else take over. The club no longer exists.

I think there were people there that just wanted to be spoon fed ideas. When it came to actually doing some work on their own, they always seemed to miss those meetings. We tried a yahoo message board and same thing there - the same 5 or so people posting and everyone else just reading their thoughts.

When I was a stockbroker, I would give talks at investment clubs as well. In my time as a broker, I only found ONE club that was successful. And I think the ONE thing that kept them together was the fact that it cost money to buy into the group. You bought 'shares' of the investment club. They basically created their own, personal mutual fund. The money was invested based on members input and the buy in was substantial - at the time around $10k each. When you have $10k invested and know that you have a say in what happens, it appears that people actually cared and did their work. I loved working with this club. $10k in the overall picture is not a lot, but for a 'club' you typically attract those that are serious.

Another club I worked with had a $100 buy in, had 10 members at the max, and there were 2 at the most that actually did something. That club lasted about 6 mo's.

So, after working with clubs and trying to run one, my suggestions are:
    1) Have a buy in and start a 'mutual fund'. This buy in must be high enough to get rid of the tire kickers and those just looking for free ideas.
    2) Have meetings at least every 2 weeks. We tried once a month and it's just too easy to start missing meetings.
    3) Make everyone accountable somehow. And if they don't do their job, they are out.
    4) Depending on who you attract to this, keep communication open and often - whether that's a chat room, message board, email list, etc.

To be perfectly honest cash, after going thru all this myself, I would not bother trying to start one. It's just my opinion but I think the 'risk-reward' is not in your favor - you are risking LOTS of your time and money to start this and the reward is going to be small at first. Over time it may pan out, but it may never reach that stage.

Idea... instead of starting a 'club' with people that live near you, perhaps start a 'virtual club' with traders here on ET... With services like hotcomm, paltalk, etc. you can put something together fairly inexpensively. Just an idea.

#51     Dec 1, 2006
  2. Maybe 30 is too much. I was thinking like maybe 5 people max, with a buy in of 12,000 (120,000) with margin. Thats not a bad starting point. I understand what you're saying, and its too bad people think they'll get a free ride off everyone else. I think it'd be hard finding young people like myself that actually cared enough.

#52     Dec 1, 2006

3. Let me tell you the reasons why Investment Clubs wouldn't work.
    Well, everyone has a different strategy. On uses Fundamentals, others like me solely trade on TA. One person likes equities, the other likes futures and forex. One person likes indicators RSI, CCI, etc. the other one prefers Fibb. Retracements.

You see where I am going with this.

I, 18 years of age, since this Thursday...would not invest in Investment Club. And sound minds, like my friends at my college would not do so as well.

Now if you would talk about a Club that meets once in a while and discusses different strategies. Then my friend, you have a goldmine of ideas. Its little bit like ET but with less sarcasm would be perfect.

PS if you live in NYC area and have time to spend discussing strategies with me and my other collegues (college students)...please be free to join us.:)

#53     Dec 2, 2006
  4. If you are looking for people under 30, good luck.

I understand completely where you are coming from, as I was once in your shoes and was just trying to get involved in stuff. I got into Investools and that's where the club started. So, the group actually had a common bond - the investools method. Still, even with that we had trouble getting everyone involved.

I don't recall how old you are, but if you are in college, maybe you could get a little group going there. Nothing terribly serious, but at least discussions going. When I was in school - shit that sounds old - we had an actual class where you managed real money from the school endowment fund. Talk about hands on. That was the best class I EVER took and I knew the people in that class were also interested in what we were doing. If this class does not exist at your school, maybe do some research on it and put the bug in some prof's ears... your time may actually pay off there. I've also read recently that some schools are now teaching TA as well.

#54     Dec 2, 2006
  5. Yea, about that. I'd make some kind of contract or document that states the structure of how this would work. Sense I only trade stocks, so would the club, 100% equities. Id tell everyone that trades/ investments would be taken based off of solely technical analysis, and indicators of my choosing.

Changing back and forth between TA and fundies, switching indicators and time frames only will make things frustrating.

I can see why something like this would have a hard time getting off the ground.

#55     Dec 2, 2006