How will you rate this system?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by macgibby, Oct 9, 2005.

1. AaronCapps

AaronCapps Global Futures

The main thing i would like to see is just more data. With more data you can now if what your noticing is temporary or has been a consistent repeatable pattern. Also, it will allow you to do out of sample testing to see how well your parameters are holding up. You said that you programmed something simple that you kept noticing, that's great, and hopefully it's something that will continue to work, but i reserve judgement till i can see that it has held up for a while in the past to give you the best chance in the future.

#21     Oct 10, 2005
  2. boots

boots

macgibby,

Sorry, but this is no good. The draw down is way out of proportion to the net profit and the starting capital. I am sure the equity curve looks terrible.

There is much more to a good trading system than just having more money at the end than you started with. Keep at it, you are off to a good start but have a ways to go.

Good luck,

boots

#22     Oct 11, 2005
  3. macgibby

macgibby

What drawdown % is normal? is 20% too high?

#23     Oct 11, 2005
  4. What you STILL don't understand is this:

Since the system had a $17K drawdown, if you funded this acct with $20K and that drawdown happened soon after, you would've been wiped out! That's not a 20% drawdown, that's a BLOWOUT! Comprende yet?

#24     Oct 11, 2005
  5. macgibby

macgibby

Did you ever think that this system might use % of capital on every trade and keeps compounding? So if you lose 20% in the beginning it'll be only $4000 vs when you have 60,000 then 20% would be 12,000?

#25     Oct 11, 2005
  6. Of course I thought about! But without disclosing you system (which you haven't and I can understand that), how is somebody supposed to give an honest, informed opinion? You haven't even supplied an equity curve chart!

#26     Oct 11, 2005