how will obama affect the stock market.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by prc117f, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Regardless of who wins, the Alternative Minimum Tax MUST be done away with.

As always, until the sheeple wake up, we'll never get the flat tax that would truly renew America's economy.

#11     Jun 4, 2008
  2. piezoe

piezoe

Isn't it bizarre that the majority of folks would list "national Defense" as an essential function of government in spite of the fact that we have had nothing to defend against (at least not by using an army) except ourselves attacking ourselves since about 1812!** Looks like we could well do away with national defense altogether as no longer needed. We have spent a few trillion lately on national aggression, but that hardly seems necessary either. Maybe we should privatize aggression. I'm sure a private, for profit corporation could be more efficient and cost effective in invading other countries than the government. Those of us who don't qualify for medicare or medicaide seem to be wildly enthusiastic about how efficient and cost effective our private medical cartel operates. Why not use that as a model for privatizing aggression?

**I didn't count Pearl Harbor, since we brought that on ourselves when we blockaded Japan.

#12     Jun 4, 2008
  3. Mercor

Mercor

Over history the downfall of societies is being unable to defend yourself.

Defense by both military and innovation.

Japan very agressive in the 30's, broke lots of agreements.

Example today: We have isolated Iran forced countries not to trade with them, Have many UN resolutions barring Iran in the international community.....So if Iran were to explode a dirty bomb in the US is it our fault?

#13     Jun 4, 2008
  4. It kills me when people try to give Clinton credit for the markets during his term. (btw, Bylo, I know you are not doing this).

Clinton had great timing. He came into office just as the tech boom started, and left just as it popped.

Balanced budget? Due entirely to the tech boom and '94 tidal wave of republicans entering office on a balanced budget platform. Clinton THEN went for the balanced budget. Man, the good ol days!

#14     Jun 4, 2008
  5. Hopefully without republicans in govt. the American govt. can finally stop cooking it's books.

Stock markets have historically done better under Democratic presidents, however Bush and Co. have done so much damage to the American economy, that only a severe depression can flush the mess.

Just look at the BSC bailout. Now there is LEH bailout in the works. Never in history have such a few handful profited at the expense of the rest of the population.

Money, Empire & Collapse

The United States’ whole economy is now dominated by finance and that is a huge mistake, says Kevin Phillips. He’s one of the nation’s premier economic and political analysts, who bases his deep concern for the country’s future on his careful study of failed empires. While the financial sector has quietly taken over the economy, he says, the American electorate has tolerated politicians who have no sense of what America's changing role must be.

“Finance is the biggest thing in the (American) economy, while we pretend there’s another real economy. Finance has 20 to 21% of gross domestic product (GDP). Manufacturing is down to 12%. There is no historic example of a great power that has let itself financialize, where manufacturing has been subordinated, that has come back from it.

http://paulagordon.com/shows/phillips4/index.html

i.e. regardless of who is in power, the US GDP will shrink because the fraudulent financial economy will shrink. If there were a NYC real-estate ETF, I'd short it with everything I have.

#15     Jun 4, 2008
  6. Aboushi

Aboushi

Wait till like april09 and then go long on everything.

#16     Jun 4, 2008