how will Canada fare if global economy collapses?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Optional, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Banjo

Banjo

#51     Dec 1, 2008
  2. sumosam

sumosam

Merci, merci beaucoup!:D :D :D

#52     Dec 1, 2008
  3. What will become of the bubble known as Alberta, Canada, if oil stays low or heads lower?

That's some massively inflated real estate and everything else up there built on the back of $100+ per barrel oil, eh?

They may just have to shut those tar sand pits down, and it will be 'ghostly like.'

#53     Dec 1, 2008
  4. I lived in Canada for 2 years, worked for US company in Cali and was transfered to Ottawa for a project.

Many say Canada is great because health care if free. True. It's great if come from a 3rd world country but if you go to Canada from the US you'll notice the diffrence lagging healthcare services. If you have a kidney transplant, heart condition, etc...you'll be on the waiting list...and doctor will see you......you might be or will be dead but doctor will see you.

How is this narrative related to the subject of this thread.

Like many countries Canada will suffer economic downturns...most certainly it'll effect canadian entitlement programs such as healthcare and other social programs. Only a strong thriving countries can afford highest level of universal healthcare system. Note - highest level...Canada's is by far is not the highest level as compare to other developed countries with similiar structure such as the U.K.

Otherwise I thought Canada is a great country, corp culture a bit laid back compared to US maniacs, nuatual foreign relations, no major enemies. As long as Canada does something about crazy French seperatists like Bloc Quebeca' Canada will be a better place.

#54     Dec 1, 2008
  5. I'll never trade the free health care here for any kind of privatized system. Where exactly did you hear about the doctor stories, because you certainly didn't have a kidney transplant yourself? Some lists are long true, but they are overblown. It won't happen for emergency care. It's still better than losing your house because of a medical emergency. And it's not an entitlement program, the US spends even more on health care than us, we've just about average in spending and service.

#55     Dec 2, 2008
  6. WOW, you need a hug buddy. Like I said, if you go up around Leslie & 7, I know of a few offices that look closed late at night, but they are actually 'open for biz'. However, don't start rambling on about your frustrations - or even those broads won't touch you EVEN if you pay them.

I was born here, and I can tell you that of all the friends I have (most if not all were born here too) we don't actually share those views you have.

I just don't see the world that bleak - and yes Pac mall is great - i love burnt DVDs and ripping off the movie companies.

Alot of chinese in Markham don't speak english, because they likely just moved here recently from Hong Kong or mainland and haven't learnt english. I beleive the older generation didn't have english in their kindergarten. The chinese supermarkets you speak of cater to FOB chinese people (not older generation Canadian Chinese) who cook REAL chinese food at home. You can't buy those ingredients at Longos. They shop there for a reason. Not because of some conspiracy to to take over Algonquin Park or STEAL business away from Dominion.

"Their restuarant" - I bet you haven't even been to a real chinese restaurant. Where are you from by the way? Mr. Pongs doesn't qualify as good...although hungry after nightlife in toronto you'll eat anything.

The businessmen are shrewd, but If you find them too harsh for you, you probably aren't going to make it in the capital markets - the market is filled with WAY WORSE people then Pac mall.

How did "they get away with it" - you imbicile - Chinese people have built Canada right along with the whites. Chinese were instrumental in laying our first rail roads...they literally helped build the country right from the beginning....hence the term Canadian Chinese which is something from the past.

>I hate ethnic groups -They only leech >off of Canada and want to establish a >chinese colony, they should all go >back if they love their country so much

This sounds funny coming from a FOB like yourself. This type of mentality gets old fast - you actually belong in America - this is how alot of Americans feel ie. Scared of China

I'm not even chinese, nor do I really give a crap about defending anyone, but I do know that your mentality is very un-Canadian.

#56     Dec 2, 2008
  7. Just search CBC site for one of the segments done by Fifth Estate program about Canada growing "medical tourism" to India, Russia to do critical med services. Why? it's cheaper that US but faster than Canada. My personal experience....we had to take my daughter to emegency for high fever, after waiting 5 hours the first time we left, second time it was close to the same waiting time. Just look up Martin's last campaign promise (well he no longer in power) one of which was exclusively addressing Canada's waiting list and waiting issue.
    Please don't take this personally, espcially don't think that Canadian doctor's skills and qualifications any less than US...qualifications are fine but the system is is failing. In the US we've hearing about Social Security going backrupt some day in Ontario you hear OHIP going belly up anytime...unless it changed in the past 2 years.

#57     Dec 2, 2008
  8. It's tough to say, the companies won't reveal, but alot of commercial hedging is done in advance to prepare for un-expected swings in the per barrel price. The companies in the Tar sands are EXTREMELY large, and spend a great deal of money on hedging. These hedging activities extend into the future - and it's an ongoing process. The tar-sands are one portion of the business, and they do possess other lines of revenue like Natural Gas for eg.

But, a 30.00 barrel price certainly won't be good, it'll be interesting to see what happends to the stock prices...if oil stays in the 40's.

#58     Dec 2, 2008
  9. cokezero

cokezero

Canada is going to do fine. When you divide the amount of natural resources by the number of people you will find out practically everyone is multi-millionaire.

The only threat is the US. Right now the US is using funny money to buy all the natural resources from Canada and the middle east. It's much cheaper to print monopoly money than to go into war.

If Canada and the middle east stop accepting US dollar there is a real risk that the US would invade canada. Afterall there is too much natural resources protected by too few people and it's just so close to home....

#59     Dec 2, 2008
  10. This will never happen, America will not ruin its relation with U.K., England has been America's biggest partner and alliance partner.

After all Canada is a constitutional monarchy with its own queen and governor general. Though symbolic it's a subject of the Union - invading Canada will be slapping Brits in the face - which I don't think US is crazy enough to do just yet :D

#60     Dec 2, 2008