how will Canada fare if global economy collapses?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Optional, Nov 25, 2008.

1. I agree - even if they pretend to be joking, deep down inside they (OK not all Americans...but just most of them:) actually believe it....or they believe that trying to invade Canada would be a good thing. It is precisely this stupidity that explains why this fellow always feels like he's losing.

There's alot of collaboration going on now with outside nations, and in the oil market in particular, Canada plays a critical role. We are the largest supplier of oil to the US, and I don't see Americans ever giving up oil in my life time.

America doesn't need to be 'taken over' by minority groups - the country has been selling off it's assets to the outside world for years now (to stay in business). Take Overs don't need to happen when you own something already.

#41     Dec 1, 2008
  2. Canada's already a multi-cultural place....don't know where you are living? Thunder Bay? In Toronto we have every color and oodles of chineese. I love the chineese - we have a lot of great things to learn from them.

For one thing they make the best food in the word, and shopping at a Chineese supermarket is great - you save alot of money, and eat healthy.

#42     Dec 1, 2008
  3. German, I know some great looking Canadian girls who are single....if you ever want to escape...let me know, I could introduce.

Canadian girls are great - they love to screw.

#43     Dec 1, 2008
  4. chinese girls are great, but an hour later, you're horny again

#44     Dec 1, 2008
  5. 2 major reasons (obligatory IMO):

1) The U.S. is Canada's largest export market;

2) The Canadian currency is heavily dependent on mining and natural resource pricing. Canada is similar to Australia in terms of its structure; some manufacturing, but heavily resource price dependent. Canada has a ton of mining. And don't forget the equilibrium price for extracting that oil from the tar sands.

If the U.S. catches a serious pulmonary disease, Canada will unquestionably be on a ventilator.

#45     Dec 1, 2008
  6. Rub & Tug - North of 7?

#46     Dec 1, 2008

7. Should be re-worded to you "hope" it will be on a ventilator.

Unfortunately, there are very few certainties in this world.

#47     Dec 1, 2008
  8. I don't have any problems with Canada (except their tax structure, but that affects Canadians, not me).

In fact, I rather like and admire Canada.

#48     Dec 1, 2008
  9. jrcata

jrcata

"Rub & Tug - North of 7?"

Thanks for that, spit coffee all over my computer screen!

Cheers to all the Torontonians and Canadians here on ET

#49     Dec 1, 2008
  10. My experiences in Markham has been that half of them don't even speak english, their supermarkets only import chinese products and contribute 0 to the local canadian economy, their restaurants aren't "great" food, in fact any cheap chinese restaurant will just import some ready made meal in a can from the mainland with a lot of MSG. The businessmen will try to screw you over and everytime I go in Markham I see so many expensive cars yet the statistics show that northern area is very "poor". I bet they don't pay taxes, along with the couple illegal immigrants.
    And my favourite is Pacific mall. Fake DVDs, fake designer glasses, fake designer brands and some cheap LCDs. Ah, proud Chinese tradition. And all this in the middle of Canada, how did they get away with it?

Sure we have a few things to learn from them but I hate ethnic groups who don't try to integrate themselves into society. They only leech off of Canada and want to establish a chinese colony, they should all go back if they love their country so much. I'm an immigrant too and I'm canadian first. Even the chinese who speak english segregate themselves on purpose, they don't want to mingle with anybody else, ugh.

The only hope is when I hear the young kids speak, they speak english FIRST and have a perfect english accent. These kids will grow up being contributing members of Canada. Thank god for the education system.

#50     Dec 1, 2008