how will Canada fare if global economy collapses?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Optional, Nov 25, 2008.

1. achilles28

achilles28

Canada is a resource and export-based economy.

Resources tank in slumps.

Exports (to the US) will tank in a US recession.

A plus - our banks didn't gorge themselves in subprime debt.

Although, we did experience a housing mini-bubble, which is starting to burst.

Its predicted we're gonna lose another 100K jobs.

That's significant.

#21     Nov 25, 2008
  2. thedewar

thedewar

We'll be ok. There's gonna be a recession (already start of one), lots of job losses, however the world still needs resources and Canada's got a shitload :) If some better trade agreements are signed Canada will do even better (i think there's been talks with Europe) however 80% of our exports still go straight south so there will need to be alot of reforms and new trade policy.

It'll suck but not as bad as US

#22     Nov 25, 2008

3. I second this motion!

#23     Dec 1, 2008
  4. Just three months ago, the Canadian Dollar was $1.08 against the USD.

As of today, it's about 80 cents.

So, I'd say Canada is unfortunately in for some major league hurt if recent, sharp trends are any indicator of things to come...

#24     Dec 1, 2008
  5. zdreg

zdreg

i am looking for an explanation from various thread that explain current $US dollar strength.

please post address of threads or other sites which have an explanation. thx.

#25     Dec 1, 2008
  6. I just found this here:

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0003425

"It is estimated that between 1929 and 1933 Gross National Expenditure declined by 42%, by the latter year 30% of the LABOUR FORCE was unemployed, and 1 in 5 Canadians became dependent upon government relief for survival. Until WWII the UNEMPLOYMENT rate never declined below 12%. The Depression's severity was aggravated by its uneven impact, a rudimentary social-welfare structure and misguided government policy."

So it appears as if Canada got DESTROYED during the Great Depression.

Just think about all of the young men in Alberta and norther BC who are about to lose their jobs as a result of Natural Gas and Crude Oil crashing...Millions of people in Canada are about to be out of work.

#26     Dec 1, 2008

7. I am also surprised by the recent strength of US dollar.

#27     Dec 1, 2008
  8. Canada will share the debt burdon equally under the North American Union/Amero

#28     Dec 1, 2008
  9. bbqbbq

bbqbbq

from a fundamental perspective.. maybe because people are still moving into cash, a quick look at marketwatch shows thats stocks, oil and gold all got hammered today. So which cash to get in, the dollar is only one rising, and also part of strongest economy. Ofcourse I dont get why you would want to be in a currency that has unlimited printing available by the FED, thats over my head.

from a technical perspective, when looking at currencies euro was in a downtrend on the daily, then into triangle and consolidation, so theres a chance of downtrend continuing. consequently the dollar would rise and maybe that is happening.

#29     Dec 1, 2008
  10. zdreg

zdreg

i am bearish on the $US and am interested in the cause of its current strength.

eg why has the dollar been so strong against the korean won but weak against peru?

#30     Dec 1, 2008