How Will America Get Economy Going Again?... this, maybe

Discussion in 'Economics' started by gnome, Oct 27, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

Yours is a "stars in your eyes" hopefulness.. and unfortunately misplaced.

True, America will continue to be a hub of innovation... but the big money and jobs are not in the innovation, but rather in the PRODUCTION... and with labor costs being so low overseas, the lion's share of the money and jobs will go there.

It's a basic law of economics.. the low-labor cost genie can't be put back into the bottle.

#11     Oct 27, 2008
  2. jjf

jjf

Won't you need a soft dollar to export.

#12     Oct 27, 2008
  3. NOT if the products were competitive on their own, you don't need a debased $.

#13     Oct 27, 2008
  4. jjf

jjf

You will need to explain that to me.
    Are you saying that you can reduce the cost of manufacture below the competitive currency level.

#14     Oct 27, 2008
  5. high quality= high margins. Cost of manufacture LESS of an issue.

BMW vs Dodge. <--- Your answer
    Apple vs Acer <---- Good us example

#15     Oct 27, 2008
  6. gnome

gnome

It's obvious that YOU don't get it.

True, we NEED to have excessive exports. WHAT are we going to export? What can be made here that can't be made cheaper overseas? Why would someone buy more expensive American goods when he has a cheaper alternative?

Take my advice. Please think a bit before you spew.

#16     Oct 27, 2008
  7. Gnome,
    HIGH MARGIN products,
    if we were to follow your logic, the entire white collar workforce of the US should resign and have their jobs done by Indians for 10 cents on the $.
    The input of BRAINS carries a lot of VALUE.

you want to compete with China building cheap Toys ? Good luck

#17     Oct 27, 2008
  8. jjf

jjf

But what about the heritage of the product and the manufacturer.

Swiss and German engineering has spent decades building up their heritage and you are suggesting building BMW quality autos in US and exporting at comparable pricing.
    All very interesting.
    I wonder why you are the first person to dream this up.

#18     Oct 27, 2008
  9. No , how was the state of the US military a few years before world war II
    How was the state of the US space program ? how long did it take us to send men to the moon.

Look at Tesla, they'll bury BMW...

GM didn't fall because of a poor workforce or stupid designers and incompetent engineers. Biggest problem is US is the management class who were too stupid to position themselves strategically for high oil prices and environmental awareness.

There is a lot of potential that can be activated, if only, we stop looking for gimmicks......

US is the most creative workforce in the world, proven again and again and again

#19     Oct 27, 2008
  10. jjf

jjf

I am on a roll here in the spirit of high end products.

Why not hand-make handbags, shoes, scarves watches pens etc and sell them to the french, Germans Italians and Spanish.

I really think that you are onto something oktiri.

#20     Oct 27, 2008