How was your 2016?!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by felixbocharov, Dec 30, 2016.

1. So the year is almost over, I think for the most of us it's been a rough year. How was your 2016 are you looking forward to 2017?!

2. If not for NVDA it would've been much much worse.

3. Turveyd

Turveyd

Trading wise, learned a lot, improved a lot but thankfully pulled some back recently so BE area on the account.

Business, very poor.

Lost a lot of friends, only 1 from dying, loads just pissing me off and getting rid.

Every year as you get older gets rougher, Trading is my ownly chance of reversing this, so rougher it is LOL

4. vanzandt

vanzandt

You're funny bro.
    Blondie 2 off the schedule tomorrow I assume?

5. Terrible...wars, sanctions...Provided the country i live...Don`t wanna be involved in that bullshit in 2017,so thinking about moving to a deserted island...Who`s with me?

6. poor year- maybe 8% nett profit-too many global events made me super cautious, when volatility was crap and the muppets in the banks got another free ride

7. ElSegundo

ElSegundo

Man, best year in quite awhile for investors--- but looks like it sucked for traders--- any lessons here? peace

8. So all you guys are basically happy to make around 5% a year...maybe 10% on a really, really lucky year if the Gods are smiling down on you...elite traders :po_O
    (just kidding, kind of)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    vanzandt likes this.
  9. since you are referring to "all the guys", are you including yourself. If you are, that explains you're conclusion. I think many did double your quote. :p

10. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Look, its simple.

If I am a position where I can CONSISTENTLY make 5–10% a year NET in ALL my portfolios WITHOUT UNDUE RISK, then, quite frankly, I'm doing pretty well and am likely to be setting myself up for a very comfortable retirement (effects of compounding, reinvesting dividends etc.)

Let's be honest here, people at the top of their game like the Medallion Fund, with their rooms full of PhDs, all their expensive data-feeds, IT infrastructure and large amounts of working capital are still "only" able to consistently rake in an average of 25–30% net a year.

So, honestly, even if we assume an incredibly smart Joe Bloggs.... what's the TRUTHFUL consistent net figure likely to be for someone working on their own and managing only their own money ? 10% is probably realistic, maybe 15% if they are particularly smart and they're paying more than your average Joe for access to better quality data.

There is a reason why there are not many Medallion Funds in this world. To CONSISTENTLY make large returns year after year requires an incredible amount of skill, dedication delivered by a room full of supremely smart people and the financial and technical resources to back it up.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    #10     Dec 31, 2016