How was this crash obvious?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Aj2014, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Aj2014

Aj2014

So many people seem to have got short on this drop yesterday and today with utter conviction we'd get a huge down move

I'm wonder what they all saw?

Some caught near the high yesterday and are still holding, and even on twitter I saw a lot of people get short soon after the open saying like 'short here. Expect we could go down over 200 ES points in the coming days' kinda thing

I have no idea how ppl know where we're going? Is it a chart thing? Something else that alerted ppl not only to go short, but to hold for many days?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

UVXY was going up

3. Aj2014

Aj2014

dosen't that just move inverse to the ES though? LIke i can see uvxy was going up. And of course ES was going down.
    But that's not a signal for a crash, is it? ES goes down sometimes and then rallies hard. But lots of people called teh crash (some yesterday, but mostly at the open today)

4. With every move, some people will hold too long, some people will be on the wrong side, some people will cut profit too short. That's literally the market.

5. ktm

ktm

Nobody knows on any given day where the market is actually headed. Those that were caught on the wrong side of any big move tend to be a bit more quiet on those days.

6. Aj2014

Aj2014

i know what you mean about ppl being quiet who are losing etc.
    But It seemed likje there were so many ppl (way more than usual) who yesterday and today seemed to be looking for a massive down move. I just winder what they all saw. I've never seen something and then thought 'man, we're gonna rally about 200 ES points based on what I just saw' for example. I just trade TA/Charts

Here's a random post from shortly after the market open where the guy took a loss on a long but then flipped short expecting a crash. Most of his trades he just looks for smaller gains. It dropped like 90 points after his post

upload_2022-4-22_22-18-34.png

and I seemed to see LOTS of posts like this yesterday and today. I don't notice them usually. Some were Yesterday before we'd even gone negative on teh day!

7. Actually, the high-fliers I was trading yesterday were already under up-tick rule locks, meaning shorting restrictions were in effect.

KCalhoun likes this.
  8. You have quoted Johnny Steele, an infamous martingale trader who I'm not sure is a paper trader or real trader. WTF are exchange limits anyway...

He took a huge loss a year or so ago and disappeared for a few weeks (months?)

murray t turtle and longandshort like this.
  9. Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 3.37.56 PM.png

10. GotherL

GotherL

Def saw the inverse H&S coming.

Someone made a post here before I did so not gonna take credit for it.

#10     Apr 22, 2022