How to?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dominicanprince, May 31, 2007.

1. Hi, I came across this site a couple weeks ago and information here is amazing.

I would like to ask some of more experience guys a question.

First off I will give you may background. I have just finished my doctorate in astrophysics and am about to write my CFA level 2 next month. I have interned at Goldman Sachs and the Canadian Space agency ( yes I am canadian). But I haven't been able to find a job. I've applied to a few of the well known hedge funds in the US and they are not looking for anyone right now. I am really interested in trading, not so much the quant side but more prop for an IB or hedge fund. I am also interested in working for an options market maker.

What would be the best route, try to get back at GS, go to a prop firm, also other then optiver to which I have applied do you guys know of any other market making firms?

I would really love to get into a trading role straight from the get go, but if not at least be in a position that will allow me within the year, or is that too much to ask?

Thanks again, everyone and hopefully I will have something to add of value in the near future.

2. Anyone???

3. If you interned at GS that's your best bet. Try your contacts there and tell them you are willing to work any desk (bonds, currencies, equities doesn't matter) as long as you can trade. If they don't have something now call again in three months. And then again.

Good luck.

4. Go long a career in fiction writing.

:D

Good Luck!

5. jtnet

jtnet

a PHD in astro physics? and now you want to a trader? that any grandma can do.

you just wasted 8 yrs of school. :(

6. I wouldn't really say a waste. The time I have spent in school has given me many transferable skills that can be useful in trading.

7. Go paste your doctorate in astrophysics onto your bedroom ceiling and beat your meat to it until something pops up in your head :)

8. With your background you could well have an edge on the quant side. Why go into prop and work on a playing field where your background is worth nothing?

9. I rather be able to make decisions based on my own analysis then to create trading models all day in order for a computer to execute them. Maybe I am just being too picky.