How to work in a bank/or botique/or firm with no experience

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Trademanstan, Sep 27, 2012.

1. and what are those 7 letters, if you would like to share, so that I can attain those.. maybe.

#31     Oct 2, 2012
  2. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Are you claiming you are John Hershey? The Anheuser-Busch Professor of Management Science?

Now, I happen to have spent some time at wharton. You are definitively not that Jack Hershey.

Or you meant this to be a joke? If so, it's kind of funny.

#32     Oct 2, 2012
  3. emg

emg

what do u want to do? do u want to become:

1) HFT trader
    2) Broker
    3) Prop Trader
    4) Back office staffs
    5) WaterBoy
    6) Trader Assistance
    7) Runner
    8) software fixer
    9) hardware fixer
    10) Secretary
    11) Software developer
    12) Chef (prop house)
    13) Yoga Teacher (prop house)
    14) CPA
    15) Compliance Officer

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VNnvoZc1-Mo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#33     Oct 2, 2012
  4. 1,2,3 and 8

#34     Oct 2, 2012
  5. Hey, I don't want to burst your bubble, but transferring to Stanford from Ohio State is a real long-shot, so you should definitely focus on whatever is your plan B.

And, while Stanford is a great place to meet finance connections, it's not the only one. I would say that to get a competitive edge, you should follow the "trade from a dorm room in college" model, to the extent you can. Build up a track record of live trading and then backtest that methodology on as many markets as you can for as far back as you can. Then, network your way to talking with someone who can help you.

Of course, if you are successful with your live trading, by that time you might not care if anyone can help you, because you've helped yourself.

One thing about trading on your own in order to eventually impress someone else is that by the time you've got an impressive enough track record for it to matter to someone else, you might be in a position to decide that you don't need that other person and you can go it alone. All it takes is one great idea that applies across a ton of asset classes to make your fortune and then it won't matter if you went to Ohio State, Stanford or only have a GED.

#35     Oct 2, 2012
  6. i love these trader stories.. there inspirations.. please keep em coming, keep them coming

starting to become a better thread

#36     Oct 2, 2012
  7. logic man, ill take that advice, thanks

#37     Oct 2, 2012
  8. Can we re-size that image?
    Giving all those not traveling
    with a 30inch LCD
    a remote chance
    of reading the post by darkhorse.

#38     Oct 2, 2012
  9. and darkhorse, thanks for your story..
    it's a humbling and very candid experience.
    It gives me hope that it's not impossible or that i dont have to sell my soul to satan or belial, or whoever

#39     Oct 2, 2012
  10. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

I'm pretty sure you don't care for my advice; That's fine - I probably wouldn't either if I were in your shoes.

Just one thing though, be vigilant about "inspirational" stories - especially considering who's telling them. For one thing - beware of these achievements that don't actually sound like much once you get beneath the marketing fluff.

Life is short - and there are opportunity costs to perusing a profession; Make sure you are picking the best risk-reward trade with your life and not one that seems most glamorous to you.

#40     Oct 2, 2012