How to work in a bank/or botique/or firm with no experience

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Trademanstan, Sep 27, 2012.

1. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

This is not true outside of equities. Most flow desks at banks, for example, do not auto trade when the sizes are above a certain threshold. Nor do most funds use algos at a level above mere execution.

#11     Oct 1, 2012
  2. emg

emg

programmers sit on the trading desk.

#12     Oct 1, 2012
  3. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Correct.

#13     Oct 1, 2012
  4. Ok it would help if i knew C++ C# and .net and php ect.

I dont have to major in computer science, but at least know the languages and know how to develop software.

Because My plate is already full taking on another major.. I wont ever see my children.

and it wouldnt make sense also.

#14     Oct 1, 2012
  5. sle

sle

I am going to repeat myself yet another time. There is way more to the trading world beyond equities and futures. There is a gigantic world of credit/mortgages/govies that is mostly traded by appointment. There is a huge world of OTC derivatives that mostly trade by appointment, equity options in large size trade mostly via voice brokers. Even beyond that, there are myriads of trading/investing styles that will never be automated, e.g global macro.

#15     Oct 1, 2012
  6. sle

sle

You want to decide what you want to be and what style of trading appeals to you. The financial/trading world is vast and diverse - you can be an HFT trader which mostly involves developing software, you can be an options trader (buy-side or sell-side, which is are also very different roles), you can trade global macro or trade long/short equities.

Take two "institutionalized" people, myself and CT10Gov - things that we do on daily basis are probably almost perfectly divergent, even though our backgrounds are very similar.

#16     Oct 1, 2012
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Cash Equity groups will have sector traders who manage risk, take positions, and work with clients; even if the actual execution is done by an algorithm.

#17     Oct 1, 2012
  8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

The investment financial world is way bigger than institutional (hedgefund and sellside) trading.

#18     Oct 1, 2012
  9. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

We can throw in asset managers, insurance pools, pensions/consultants, central bank/sovereign wealth funds - that about covers it?

#19     Oct 2, 2012
  10. so bascially, get my phd/masters.. and then enter the financial world and ill find out quickly what options open up to me.

so, I can be a millionaire, as long is i work hard, and im lucky.

but i dont think im doing it for the money, I like the fast pace of trade, and being entrepreneurial.. but Im still a free slave.. indentured. I dont think the financial industry is truly the definition of freedom.. just a wealthy indentured slave.

but anyhow. its good to learn some programming languages.. and learn trade systems. im sure a prop firm can help with that..

I mean how did you all get into where you work at now?

#20     Oct 2, 2012