How to use Search function

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by nicbizz, Aug 22, 2010.

1. nicbizz

nicbizz

This is a dumb question but how to I use the 'Search' function to do a precise search?

For example, if I want to search the term "Bright Trading" (without quotation marks), I can't just enter Bright Trading in the search box, otherwise it'll return all posts with either the words "bright" or "trading" in them.

Thanks.

2. I really don't like the searching function in this forum's software.

I think you will have a better result and more precise control using Google.

Enter this in your Google search string:

site:elitetrader.com "bright trading"

(add whatever else to the end)

3. nicbizz

nicbizz

Didnt think anyone would check this forum! :)

Thanks Bolimono, that worked perfectly.

4. Joe

Joe

Join words with AND, OR and NOT to control your search in more detail.

Bright AND Trading

The above query should pick up more results, make sure to capitalize every letter in AND.

5. Thanks Bolimomo, it's the first time i can get the precise information that i want in this forum, It's hard for me to find by the search software of the forum. thanks again

6. ThisIsNeo

ThisIsNeo

Hi Joe. I was having the same problem and I tried using AND (all capitalized) but all it does is make sure all the words from the search are in the same post, but it doesn't make sure those words are together. That would be something to fix so that we don't have to refer to Google. Thanks.

7. Joe

Joe

Sure, just use the steps below:

8. I don't know why there are relunctances to use Google to search for ET contents.

Google's search function is very powerful. In addition to the "AND" operation, you can perform a phrase search. You state the exact phrase you are interested and let Google do the work.

For example, enter the following search string:

site:elitetrader.com "how to use search function"

Note the double quotes. They are essential for phrase search. You will find exactly this thread in less than one second.

How long did you have to wait for the forum software's search function to finish its search?

9. ThisIsNeo

ThisIsNeo

I had tried with the double quotes before. The search in the forum only finds post that contain those words separately.

The Google search works, but I don't think people should have to go to an external site to do a correct search. It's no big deal, I'm sure they have other things they want to fix/improve before that.

10. Bolimomo does stupid stuff all the time - get used to it.

Last time he was seen staring at an orange juice carton.

The carton had the word "concentrate" on it.

He's the type of cat who got grace marks in school and still failed!!!

:)

#10     Nov 27, 2010