How to use multiple time frames?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Dollardogs, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Sprout

Sprout

Take a single bar on the slower timeframe ie 30m.

See that it is composed of 6 - 5m bars.

Take that 1st 5m bar’s open and draw a horizontal line for the next 6 bars (inclusive).

That’s the doji of the 30m bar and it’s measure of the 30m bar’s sentiment.

The doji occurs on the open of every bar when it’s open is equal to it’s close.

There are 25 possible permutations of a 1pt 4 tick bar of all the possible open, close, high, low and whether the high or low came first.

It’s the beginning of a vocabulary, which are the basis of words, which form sentences by which the market ‘speaks’

Most never take the time to observe the flow of market information in it’s basic grandularity.

The daily bar is composed of ___ 30m
    The weekly bar is composed of ___ 1D
    The monthly bar is composed of ___ 1W

#21     Oct 18, 2020
    Dollardogs likes this.
  2. easymon1

easymon1

Out of curiosity, how long did it take from your learning of this info to money in your pocket from implementing this info? Chart image examples of working and non-working would be most excellent. Any online info on this? What's it called? Thanks

#22     Oct 18, 2020
    Dollardogs likes this.
  3. Sprout

Sprout

Elements of a system do not compare with a methodology as a whole. Learning the difference between a consonant and vowel is the building block to understand words.

Language is powerful, few understand.

In the above vid, the market is like the babies, the new mothers - noob traders.

It would be more useful to you to attempt the ‘5x5’ grid and post your results. All this stuff is in the ET archives, not really elsewhere unless one goes into old Usenet groups.

As for the ability to profit from an insight, pretty immediately. To do it consistently, then ‘context’ and the methodology for generating context is essential.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    #23     Oct 18, 2020
  4. kaizer

kaizer

no need to read 600+ screens at all, just get the idea where the quest for holy grail leads

trendlines - dont forget its just way to view and structure the price action and not predictive element, the same is true for any study. Concentrate not on graphical forms, but on the traders behavior behind. Here again MTF concept is in play because interday traders can be bullish and intraday swing bearish and so on.

#24     Oct 18, 2020
    Dollardogs likes this.
  5. kaizer

kaizer

well, very special art. Like in mathematics. Math is exact science, but solving math problems is art, more complicated problem - greater art needed.

#25     Oct 18, 2020
  6. easymon1

easymon1

ah so.

#26     Oct 18, 2020
  7. Dollardogs

Dollardogs

Yeah I feel like that's the one relative advantage I have is that I'll know not to apply anything too mechanically. But I'm still in that apprentice mode where I want to learn all the mechanics before I try to loosen/transcend them.

#27     Oct 18, 2020
    .sigma likes this.
  8. Dollardogs

Dollardogs

Saw a guy do a video on youtube where he executed this idea, pretty interesting thought-process, feel like I half-understood what I was supposed to take away from that though. I'll try it out, see what pops.

#28     Oct 18, 2020
  9. easymon1

easymon1

could you post that link? thanks

#29     Oct 18, 2020
  10. easymon1

easymon1

...here's a vid showing one of the Simple ways a trader can use multiple time frames as one of the tools in the toolbox. Often happens that "heads-ups"happen on a 30min chart a few minutes before a nice setup triggers on a 2m or 30s chart. Same simple strategy Holmes is using in this vid to sniff out the elusive "next good trade". lol
    cued and ready to rock...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    #30     Oct 18, 2020