How to use Multiple Time Frames to Trade

Discussion in 'Trading' started by wdbaker, Aug 26, 2002.

1. wdbaker

wdbaker

Can someone clarify for me how you are using multiple time frames to trade, I've noticed that some of you are using the 1min & 3min, others 2min & 5min etc....

My basic understanding of this is that you are using the higher time frame for signal and lower time frame to trade, is this correct.

example: on 3min i see two lower lows and then a hanging man candle, next on the one min I see it tick higher crossing a 5ma that is moving up, i take the trade. Would this be correct???

I know there must be a bunch of ways to do this so any help would be great. Examples would be a huge help, not asking you to divulge your secrets, just clarification on what would seem to be a strong common principle.

Thanks
    Bill

2. Bob111

Bob111

as my friend told me about couple days ago, different time frames have to be x5
    example if you use 2 moving averages it must look like this: min to 5 min, 5 min to 30 min and so on. i'm not a expert in TA just trying to help
    Thank you!

3. wdbaker

wdbaker

Ok, this sounds like a rule, I like rules but also like to know why I have or use that rule, did your friend explain the logic behind this rule?

Does this rule square with everyone else??? and if not why not?

Thanks
    Bill

4. wdbaker

wdbaker

I would Love to here from some of the Pro Traders on this subject

Bill

5. Bob111

Bob111

--why I have or use that rule

you don't have to)))))) i did not use any of MA or TA and still make money)))))))).
    if you have soft like omega or tradestation you may try to play with MA . as i understand it-if both time frames confirm each other
    then possibility that current trend will continue greater than end of it))))))
    Good Luck

6. I dont think that its a "hard fast" rule about what the scaling has to be between different time frames...I have read a fair amount of the subject and I do use multiple time frames to determine different levels of s/r, pivots, etc...You could just as easily say it should be by a scale of 3 or by a scale of 9...It would make perfect sense, however, that the scale should be wide enough so as not to be looking at virtually the same time frame...It is just common practice to do a scale of 5...

If this is something you are interested in, I would definitely recommend you take a look at Robert Krausz's software Fibonacci Trader. It does an excellent job of integrating multiple time frames into one chart and really does have some excellent "price based" indicators that you will not find elsewhere...

7. Just remember that support and resistance levels on a higher time frame are more powerful on smaller time frames. I look at the 60, 30 and 15 min for larger S/R levels, and enter on a 5 minute time frame.

8. wdbaker

wdbaker

Vulture,
    Thanks for the clarification on the scale of the time frame

Bill

9. yes, exactly and that is why it is always a good idea to scale time frames...

10. wdbaker

wdbaker

Sarasota,
    So I would use it to establish S/R on a higher time frame, example: I see it heading for support on a five min and look to the 1min to buy the bounce or sell the break?? I think I have it.

What other ways do you guys use multiple time frames to confirm your entry or exit???

Thanks
    Bill

#10     Aug 26, 2002