How to use MACD as confirmation to EMA cross

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by SimpleMeLike, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Hello,

I have been looking for trading strategy involving EMA cross with MACD as a confirmation. I see alot on the internet. Basically, buy when 2 EMAs cross and MACD above 0. Opposite for sell.

Can someone please explain (with a visual example) with an example how the MACD confirms an EMA cross? Does this mean the MACD above 0 is delayed after the EMA cross.?

Thank you

2. While EMA is a "1st derivative of price", MACD is a "2nd derivative of price" (moving average of a moving average). To get any kind of signal/cross from MACD, there needs to be a "bigger move". Unfortunately, such bigger move is no assurance the move will continue. And even when it works as envisioned, other things signal "earlier in the move".

I am not a fan of MACD at all. Traders should be able to get their trading signal "sooner" than a MACD cross.

Chris Mac likes this.
  3. Simples

Simples

4. Issue is not "both are price derivatives" and therefore should be "considered equally"... rather that MACD is a "later to the party" indicator because it's a 2nd derivative of price.

If asked for my opinion about MACD... I'd recommend to ignore completely.

SimpleMeLike likes this.
  5. speedo

speedo

Yes MACD is a derivative of moving averages which are derivatives of price. I use a double stochastic to confirm a reversal but in a time frame higher than the one experiencing the cross. Confirmation in the same time frame is likely to cause a lot of whipsaw. It might work for a scalping strategy but that's a tough way to go.

Chris Mac likes this.
  6. Here's a notion for you. I'm of the belief that there is no such thing as "confirmation".

7. speedo

speedo

My "Confirmation" is simply an edge, nothing more.

Simples likes this.
  8. lcranston

lcranston

What you're looking for is a confirmation that price will continue to rise (it's already risen somewhat or else the MAs would not have crossed). Indicators will not do that for you. Look for something else in the chart that will suggest more buying interest than selling interest.

SimpleMeLike likes this.
  9. "Edge"? There is no legal edge.

truetype likes this.
  10. speedo

speedo

Call a cop.

#10     Nov 14, 2017