How to treat the 'cannot pull the trigger' symtome

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ADX_trader, Feb 19, 2003.

1. miniTrdr

miniTrdr

doh! :D

#11     Feb 19, 2003
  2. That's pretty cool. I wish I'd known it when I was first starting..

FWIW, I've also had a hard time gunning lately, and have been hesitating on my entries while being very quick with my exits. I think it's more of a symptom of a choppy market (where you have to be very nimble more than anything else) with poor liquidity.

#12     Feb 19, 2003
  3. That may not be as easy as you think. Perfectionism can be a sign of some past psychological problems that you may need to address. Perhaps it's only perfectionism, and the other two things you mentioned are just the result of that.

Talk to a shrink, perhaps he/she can help.

#13     Feb 19, 2003
  4. Perhaps you need to find a trading partner who would make you execute your trades. Just a thought.

#14     Feb 19, 2003
  5. I was thinking about it before. But I am trading at home and I don't want to find a job in the institutes. I also dislike other people distract me when I am watching the screens.

I did papertrade before and found my system was really good. I had many consecuctive winning trades. I could put on the trades easily, just pressed the key. But when I move to real world trade, my mind seems to unable to put on the trade.

I know I only need to squeeze a few ticks a day then my annual performance would be very good. I won't try to make a killing in one trade. I don't have the problem of greed but the fear.

#15     Feb 19, 2003
  6. #16     Feb 19, 2003
  7. I understand, but a little distraction may not be that bad. Perhaps you could pull the trigger easier when you get distracted.

#17     Feb 19, 2003
  8. BigMike

BigMike

I once knew a professional horseplayer who would follow his methods and system, get a clear scenario to make a bet, and then, on his way to the window, he would change his mind/the horse to bet on/amount of the bet, etc. He solved his problem by "Hiring" a partner to take his money and his wager to the window for him.

I don't know how his problem started, but I believe he has had the same partner for 10+ years now.

That is all.

BigMike

#18     Feb 19, 2003
  9. A fully automatic trading system can do the same job for a trader. But this could rise another problem: could you withstand form interfering the system? Especially when it has a big drawdown.

#19     Feb 19, 2003
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Looks like there's your problem: you haven't addressed your fear of the drawdown. Your fear has nothing to do with the trade itself.

--Db

#20     Feb 19, 2003