How To Train For Mass | Arnold Schwarzenegger's Blueprint Training Program

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by El OchoCinco, Mar 16, 2020.

1. How To Train For Mass | Arnold Schwarzenegger's Blueprint Training Program

2. That's a lot of bro science in a single video!

Arnold just described how to live in the gym. He would train six days a week, twice a day when preparing for the Mr. Olympia contest. He would also train each muscle group three times a week, often doing as many as 20-30 sets for each body part. You up for that?

Meanwhile, from what I recall, Mike Mentzer trained about 3 times a week for a total of about 2 hours or so when preparing for a contest. True, he didn't win the Mr. Olympia in 1980 when he competed with Schwarzenegger, but his physique was better than Arnold's that year, and they were all on the same drugs:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  3. DTB2

DTB2

It's easy to train like the pros. It is not as easy to recover and grow. Even with steroids, response is different for everyone. Arnold was a focused beast in the gym and have very favorable response to steroids.

It's just a numbers game, millions of guys train, millions of guys take steroids.8 super physiques are on that stage.

4. I'm not sure I'd go with "easy." :)

However, except for his earlier years, one of them trained for a fraction of the time that the other guys did.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020

5. You don't need to look like him, you can still train like him and get development. I doubt we want to look like that being non-competitors.

But his comments are true fro any type of development or muscle growth, just scaled down to what you can do.

6. You're a smart guy. I can't believe you wrote this.

7. What you said his words are meaningless because you cannot train 6 days a week.

His technique tips are still valid no matter how hard you want to train.

it is like saying you don't need to listen to Steph Curry's shooting technique tips because you are never going to spend 4 hours a day shooting 500 3s.

8. He had good genes and great drugs. But not so much sense when it came to bodybuilding. My dad used to say that the biggest potatoes grew for the stupidest farmers. You get the idea. I think it's fair to say that he succeeded in his bodybuilding career despite his training volume rather than because if it. I am far from alone in this thinking.

Arnold is a smart guy, but I think he wrapped his identity a bit too much in his bodybuilding career, such that he needed to overdo it to justify his existence. He trained far more than he needed to, and can't come to terms with admitting it. Dorian Yates, a more recent Olympia winner than Arnold, trained far less and became far bigger. Good genes, "better" drugs. And Arnold still recommends upright rowing and behind the neck shoulder presses, per the video. I've done them both for years before I smartened up. For anyone with any sense they are verboten. He's either in denial or he doesn't know what he doesn't know. Since I think he's a smart guy, I think he's in denial. Gotta justify all that time and effort. And mistakes.

9. Yeah, but don't forget, twice a day also, for a total of 12 grueling workouts a week. No one needs that, or anything close to it. Just because someone can endure it because of the drugs he's taking, does not mean he needs it.

10. DTB2

DTB2

...and he's dead

#10     Mar 20, 2020