How to trade. . .

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by eagle488, Sep 20, 2006.

1. I'm with Mountain, Far too much negativity. If you don't start then you'll never succeed.

Good luck and come and try the HSI futures sometime. Its a great index and americans can trade it in the evening after work. 6.40 a point and less than 1 point round trip commission if you get an account with Interactive Brokkers.

Cheers :)

#11     Sep 24, 2006
  2. The best education is being kicked in the nuts by the market, there really is no other substitute

#12     Sep 24, 2006
  3. 1000

I prefer to disagree with MountainTrader, because maybe that nicey nicey site is better off with Zen liberation, rather than the reality, because the truth hurts and it is also wiser to learn from somebody elses experience.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77141&perpage=6&pagenumber=16

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77141&perpage=6&pagenumber=16

Consider that that individual would have already gone through your process and a lot more.

#13     Sep 24, 2006
  4. Quote from roberk:

http://www.rts-forex.com (Barabara Rockefeller website)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trades Recommended in Daily Report

2006 Track Record
    By Month By Quarter Cumulative
    January 06
    February 06 -7,417.50
    March 06 -1,406.25 -17,660.00 -17,660.00
    Return on $20,000 -88%
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the - sign means minus.

Wow, that's pretty consistent! Are her trades <i>always</i> that predictably bad? Because, one could develop a lucrative system around fading her.

#14     Sep 24, 2006
  5. MD-doc

MD-doc

Taking the Bulls by the Horns...!

After more than 15 years of experience in investing and trading, I reached the conclusion that the best way to learn and reach the professional status, is to:

- Have the time and the means to learn it full time for a couple of months,
    - Better to give the money to a Mentor rather than giving it to the market. In this way you get the indispensable feedback, which will potentially help your Knowledge Curve process.
    - Try to learn the Technical Analysis basis, from the books of Schabacker, Murphy & Pring, and then specialize... One of the least known technique & more consistent used by the CME & CBOT traders is related to Integrated Pitchfork Analysis
    One should find the market that he/she is comfortable with. Learning the detailed behaviour of a market it takes time. but can be done...

These few lines are just the beginning of "How to become a consistent trader!”
    Hope this helps,

Good Trading,
    MD-doc

#15     Sep 24, 2006
  6. traderob

traderob

No, that seems to have been part of an exceptionally bad run for her. She lost money every month from October 2005 to the end of March 2006. But the latest reports are all positive.

#16     Sep 24, 2006
  7. So True

#17     Sep 24, 2006
  8. I'll go with kiwi and Mountain.

A. This is not the place to make the sort of recommendations you're making. One of the more common recommendations made to beginners is to read Murphy or Pring. This is akin to handing an Advanced Calculus book to someone who does not yet know how to add or subtract. The Dummies books are fine for what they are, but no one claims that they represent a course in trading.

B. You must also keep in mind that a great many of those who post to message boards in general and this one in particular do not trade real money in real time. Rather they simtrade or papertrade, which is why their "results" are so impressive, why they're so handy at having traded the turns, why they're so precognitive, why their knee-jerk response is usually disdain or belittlement.

LC

#18     Sep 24, 2006
  9. SteveD

SteveD

I am not being negative at all.....just saying your statement that people who bought GOOG, HANS etc are not "real traders" is just silly and nieve....too easy??....talk to all the people that shorted the stock all the way up.....

Knowing when and when not to trade is extremely important!!!

O'Neill's books will teach you how to understand supply/demand and institutional buying/selling....stocks do not move in a vacuum....

You need to understand total market/economy....fundamental and technical aspects of both and how they inter-relate to each other....

Open your mind and try to learn from all sources....good luck

SteveD

#19     Sep 24, 2006
  10. You are right about that. She appears knowledgable in her writing but I don't think she knows how to trade. Her recent article was titled something like "Why everyone loses in Forex" The title answers the question. Negative thinking. I'll take back my positive remark about her. :D

#20     Sep 24, 2006