How to Trade Papa John's (PZZA) After an Earnings Gap Drop

Discussion in 'Options' started by CML_Ophir, Aug 7, 2018.

Is this kind of research helpful?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2018.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. "The event is rare, but when it has occurred, the back-test results are noteworthy."

This is a good example of how to be mislead into thinking an approach is a trading system to be followed or that such research is truly useful.

2 events in 2 years...... 2 events out of 8 earnings reports is as random as this trade is in making money. This is a coin toss trade disguised as research.

PZZA reported and gapped down 4-5%. If you bought the ATM put then you would have lost quite a bit of money even assuming you got out at the magical/fantasy/NOT GOING TO HAPPEN 40% stop.

Unlike this THEORETICAL tool, I actually traded this postion using a calendar and the b/a spread was as wide as $0.80. That means the individual put legs also had some pretty WIDE spreads. I had to work the inside of the b/a to get filled. So to ASSume you would just simply get out at 40% stop loss is negligent to propose and slightly ignorant of the stock being analyzed. You might have taken a 50-70% loss since the day after the stock was sideways and then surged $2.50 . A .50 delta put would have lost half of that theoretically and more due to b/a spread.

I am sure the tool can be used for good but to offer some magical trade on 2 event occurrences with a stock that has some pretty wide b/a spreads means the 2 event backtest results are wrong and biased and unrealiztic to actual fills. Also 2 events is what we call an example. If I go back and find out 2 times in past 2 years a stock jumped higher on Friday the 12th, are you going to load up on the next Friday the 12th at the close?

So I am sure the tool will work better on backtesting other stocks with more detailed results and more common patterns, but on a stock like PZZA, this past earnings proved the offered system above is just random mining 2 events and misleads based on actual data.

The loss here would have been large for anyone who took the trade using options with 2 weeks out as recommended (because theta was never considered...another weakness of the system).

#11     Aug 9, 2018
  2. destriero

destriero

This trade was entered and stopped in less than two hours. How much for this incredible service? Excelsior!

2018-08-09_1537.png

#12     Aug 9, 2018
  3. destriero

destriero

You had a trade thread for each of these names... not one trade was profitable.

#13     Apr 18, 2021