How to trade market open for e-minis

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by enlightedtrader, Oct 21, 2006.

1. The squeeky wheel gets the oil

#11     Oct 22, 2006
  2. I don't agree with your observation.

For me...noise, volatility, intraday trends, dead zones et cetera can occur anytime during the trading day.

For me, if a pattern signal appears while I'm trading, I'll take the trade regardless if its 0930am est, 12noon est or any other time of the trading day.

However, if that works (profits) for you or helps control your risk exposure, all of which is dependent upon what type of strategy your using...

Keep using it and my observation about your methodology is unimportant.

Mark
    (a.k.a. NihabaAshi) Japanese Candlestick term

#12     Oct 22, 2006
  3. enlightedtrader, an indicator, trend line or price action etc. doesn't know what time of day it is - just trade your signal. Use all session charts rather than day session only and take the signals before/at/after open as you would any other time of day.

#13     Oct 22, 2006
  4. You are dead wrong ST.

These are big volume periods.
    I would suggest to people who think that they would like to trade the open, then just watch the action on a short TF or tic chart.
    Move away from talking and therefore thinking in generalities and watch the exact nature of the drama unfolding before your eyes.

#14     Oct 22, 2006
  5. eminis in general.........teenie bars, teenie scale, usually before open, i said usually,........wait for real trading to start.......don't waste the emotional capital before market opens and then some usually....all you will do is blow ur account before you get started good.....it is for the very seasoned profitable trader only......been that way for 6 yrs i have watched studied and traded eminis.........go for it......the opening trading for novice is looking for the big easy points.....and it is just that........easy for someone else to own your money......

#15     Oct 22, 2006
  6. Nobody is wrong or right in this thread due to the fact that nobody has shared specific details of their methodology for others to closely examine what the other trader is doing.

Thus, for trader A to say trading the Open isn't profitable...

That's someone saying that their method is not suitable for trading the Open.

Just the same, for trader B to say trading the Open is profitable...

That's someone saying that their method is suitable for the trading the Open.

Simply, trader A and trader B are using different methods.

Therefore, its pointless for someone to tell someone else they are wrong or it can't be done when you don't know what method they are using.

I myself don't trade the ER2 Open every trading day because some trading days there's just too much risk exposure.

Just a reminder, the thread title is the following...

How to trade market open for eminis.

If the only advice from you is to say it can't be done...at least explain (generalities is ok) what method you were using when you failed at trading the Open.

This way others can at least benefit from your comments about what not to do.

By the way, anybody watching or saw what the Eminis did around 6:22pm est today (Sunday)???

That's a volatility spike and it has nothing to do with volume.

When trading ER2...the price action of volatility spikes like that or like the volatility spikes produced by 0830am est key market events...

They often do have impact on profit targets when trading the Open especially if it wasn't a fat finger trade error.

Mark

#16     Oct 22, 2006
  7. BCE

BCE

Agree. The other thing is there are a lot of factors affecting how any of the eminis open each day. So to say "just do this" or "just do that" or "don't do this" or "don't do that" is pretty stupid. Success in this type of trade, or any trade, is created by:
    1. Observation. This is what the originator of this thread is doing evidently and that is always the most important aspect of any trading strategy. Know the underlying issue you're trading.
    2. You must understand the factors affecting the markets. Have they had a huge runup lately or selloff. Which way is the longer term trend. What is today's news - earnings, economic, etc?

To say trading the open is a waste of time and money is foolish. But to think that it's easy and a piece of cake is also foolish. If you do it well you can make good money. But it really isn't easy. If you don't know what you're doing, as in any trade, you'll get your clock cleaned by those more experienced traders on the other side of your trade. They're more than happy to take the money of someone who is just winging it. And as futures are so leveraged you can lose a lot of money in a few seconds. Good success trading to everyone here (except the assholes :D)

#17     Oct 22, 2006
  8. You said it much better than me...with less words.

:cool: :D :cool:

Mark

#18     Oct 22, 2006
  9. what does knowing what the market has been "doing lately" have to do with a 5 or 10 minute event at opening bell....nothing.........since one doesn't know what the next bar brings, how can one know anything based on "doing lately" thinking.........a 10 min ? event when t here are a good 6 hours left to trade.....36 more 10 min time periods left to trade without the risk............and one wishes to be "stupid" and trade the low reward stuff........not smart..........get over it and go to real trading..........just like fomc get over it go to real trading...give it a few bars and real trading resumes...........the opening stuff was very tradable realtime with a robust system buy sell buy

#19     Oct 22, 2006
  10. next he will hear a 50% system is great.......

#20     Oct 22, 2006