How to trade Forex with margin in IB TWS?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by GloriaBrown, May 26, 2018.

1. I know how to trade FX in IB TWS without margin, burt how to trader with margin? I just buy/sell with volume more than my asset amount in my account?

Thanks.

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

FX futures would provide leverage.

3. Have to have a margin account, then yes it should just let you buy over 100% of what is in account.

4. Thanks, then can I still short other stocks with margin maintenance requirement?

5. SteveH

SteveH

I think it's already been mentioned that IB got out of the Forex buy/sell on margin trading biz...unless you have a 10+ mil account.

CME currency futures are the only recourse now.

6. I read stuff and the non US citizens should be fine with fx margin

7. I've never heard a good explanation for why this happened ... I heard vaguely "because regulations" but never anything specific or convincing.

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

https://www.sec.gov/rules/final/2016/34-77874.pdf

Section 2(c)(2)(E) of the CEA, as added by the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform
    and Consumer Protection Act, provides that a person for which there is a Federal regulatory
    agency, including a broker-dealer registered under Section 15(b) (except pursuant to paragraph
    2(11) thereof) or 15C of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934 (“Exchange Act”), shall not
    enter into or offer to enter into a retail forex transaction, except pursuant to a rule or regulation of
    a Federal regulatory agency allowing the transaction under such terms and conditions as the
    Federal regulatory agency shall prescribe.

9. I think most of the people with 10 millions US dollars have retired and not trading lol xd

#10     May 27, 2018