How to trade cryptocurrencies now as the "buy and hold" seems to be over for a long time?

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by lojze, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Jdesey

Jdesey

Nope. Never put a single dollar into it. I wouldn't touch it no matter what.
    With this other crypto currency crash I'll be surprise if you can even execute any order at all going forward Even a purchase to cover a short. That's why I never woukd short btc as well. The trading is mostly done on a no name exchange thst could shut down their trading in a minute. That already happened in 2014 or another exchange but to be to see you folks don't want to remember that

#21     Jun 22, 2017
  2. Hoi

Hoi

You just behave as an ignorant stubborn Troll. People ignore Trolls. Especially those from the crypto-currency scene (as they are freedom fighters, true liberal cyberpunks). You can keep crying wolf, but you sound so 2013....

#22     Jun 23, 2017
  3. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

Day trading cryptos has issues because liquidity isn't always there, you don't get the fills and you get a lot of spikes.

If you believe buy and hold is over then your only option is to day/swing trade. I recommend at least a 3 hour timeframe to avoid the above-mentioned issues.

#23     Jun 23, 2017
  4. Hoi

Hoi

Nahhh...
    Buy & Hold in the crypto-world means that after you buy you immediately pull back your coins from the exchange (to preferable a hard-wallet). This behavior is very different from normal stock-exchanges, and is the cause why the liquidity is so low. And why you cannot trade this market in the same way you did on the other exchanges: you have to adopt (it's not wise to use Stop-orders for instance: what that ETH incident clearly shows).

#24     Jun 23, 2017
    johnarb likes this.
  5. johnarb

johnarb

^^^ This is a very important concept with cryptos, but many won't fully understand the gravity of what you're saying. Cryptocurrency is about being your own bank. When you transfer your coins to the exchange, you have effectively given them the coins. Period. You may think they owe you, but that is besides the point. You don't have the private keys that control those coins and the exchange can disappear. Much harder for the big exchanges, but they can claim they were hacked and you'll have to sue them and wait years and years for the courts to decide but in the end still get nothing (i.e. Mt. Gox).

Exchange is not meant to be a wallet for your cryptos. Transfer, trade, withdraw, in amounts that you can afford to lose during that time. I traded ~$13K worth last night from btc to xmr's using shapeshift.io, ~$2.5K each trade. I'll say only a minute or 2 that shapeshift.io could have disappeared and I'd have lost ~$2.5K. It's not a "traditional" exchange.

#25     Jun 23, 2017
    Hoi likes this.
  6. "you buy you immediately pull back your coins from the exchange (to preferable a hard-wallet). This behavior is very different from normal stock-exchanges, and is the cause why the liquidity is so low."

Not the main cause, imo - main cause is each exchange is isolated and only exchanges within itself. In the NYSE or or other exchanges, brokers buy/sell on these exchanges, so essentially there is only one pool with tens of millions of dippers, rather than hundreds of pools with a few thousand active dippers.

#26     Jun 24, 2017
  7. Hoi

Hoi

Main cause of what? ... this thread is about "Buy & Hold"...

But about the point you bring up. Flash-crashes occur when there isn't a filled book with buy-Limit-orders together with too many Stop-orders waiting. It's actually a good thing that exchanges are isolated, because then such a Flash-crash happens only on one exchange (which was the case with GDAX).
    In the case of the connected American exchanges, there are just as well Flash-crashes. And those are even more dangerous as here the HFT-programs pull immediately all Limit-orders from the books causing an avalanche on all connected exchanges in a split second.

#27     Jun 25, 2017
  8. SunTrader

SunTrader

The best "day" trades these days ... are at night.

#28     Jun 25, 2017
  9. RISKonFX

RISKonFX

Lol - the best comment thus far :)

#29     Jun 25, 2017