How to tell which one is "European Option", and which one is "American Option"?

Discussion in 'Options' started by simon1012, Nov 22, 2006.

1. simon1012

simon1012

How to tell which one is "European Option", and which one is "American Option"?

Hi every expert,

It is very easy to understand the difference between "European Option" and "American Option".
    However, I tried to search all over the internet, but no website can tell me which stock and which index is "European Option", and which stock and which index is "American Option"!!!

Would everyone please provide me the information? or is there a website that have a list of stock and index, and clearly tell me that what kind of option they are?

Thank you very very much!!!

2. Simon

The exchange where the option of interest trades will have a contract specification somewhere on their website. Might be a pain to find it, but it should be there.

I'm not aware of any central list of European and American options contracts, but will stand corrected.

3. Hi
    As a general rule, US stocks tend to be 'american exercise' type as do Australian ones. US stock Indices tend to be european exercise type except for OEX which is american exercise.
    That's about all the generalisation I can make.
    Profitaker sums it up - check specs on cboe or exchange where contracts are traded.
    Best
    daddy's boy