How to SwingTrade - An Educational Thread

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tradermike, Jul 16, 2001.

1. I have found a great site for swing trading that offers ideas and education. The site is free which is awsome!
    check out http://www.chartpicks.com

#31     Aug 13, 2001
  2. gemini_315

gemini_315 Guest

Anybody read and have opinions on the following books?

Tony Oz - Stock Trading Wizard, The Stock Trader
    Hit and Run Trading 1 and 2
    Dave Landry on swing trading
    Stock Patterns for day traders 1 and 2
    Dinapoli Levels

#32     Aug 14, 2001
  3. Commisso

Commisso Guest

The Oz, Cooper, Landry, and Dinapoli are all fantastic books. Have not read the stock patterns for daytraders though. Also check out Street Smarts and Connors on Advanced Trading, both by Larry Connors...

PEACE and good trading
    Commisso

#33     Aug 14, 2001
  4. jmcgraw

jmcgraw

I'm sorry I didnt see this message sooner, I didnt realize I missed it.

I do have my own VBA code that I use, but it is very un-userfriendly, in other words... Its a horrible mess. :)

To be very frank, you dont need it. To collect stats on a stock it takes about 30 minutes for each year of data if you do it manually. Faster once you get good at it. I orignally did everything manually, and wrote the vba code as an experiment.

When you collect the highs and the lows, just put them into an excel worksheet and use excel formulas to calculate the % extent and % retrace. You dont want to do the actual math calculations by hand, because that would take forever. (I can give you a excel spreadsheet I wrote to do this, just email me and I will send it to you)

There is also an advantage to doing it manually, you get a much better sense of how the stock trades. It gets absorbed into your subconscious.

If you still want to learn to use VBA, email me and I can try to point you in the right direction.

BTW, I recently learned of another possible inexpensive alternative to tradestation for non-day-traders. I've heard that AmiBroker (Which I think costs about $50), is very powerfull for programming studies and systems. I have not yet tried it out, but you may want to look into it.

#34     Aug 14, 2001
  5. gemini_315......Tony Oz has some valuable information. Definitely worth reading.

#35     Aug 15, 2001