How to swim with the sharks?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by andrasnm, Apr 18, 2004.

1. If I knew things were going to Hell, absolutely sure of a Depression or something along those lines and I knew when it was going to happen, then I would buy gold and silver...as much as I could..and then sell when gold gets to $5,000 per oz. (things would really have to get shitty), sell out and then buy back everything I could get my hands on at 10 to 20 cents on the dollar, especially real estate.

#21     Apr 19, 2004
  2. Does anyone know anything about egold and their reputation etc.
    It seems that there is a net currency 100% backed by gold - kind of a barter of exchange always convertible to currency and quite liquid.
    P.S. I know, I know nothing beats the "yellow, shiny stuff" you can test by biting into...

#22     Apr 19, 2004
  3. Actually I was looking for your track record as a forecaster of economic events not as a trader or investor. I really had no plans to invest with you. and I see how my wording led you to believe I might be looking to put some money with you. As I was writing it, I had a number of trades to open and close and lost track of what I was saying.

So I'm looking to see how good your economic forecasts have been. I figure if you know what you are talking about, then I will listen very carefully to what you say. Any edge in the markets is welcome.

I find it interesting that most economists have missed this cycle or sea change in the global system. I feel there are interesting times ahead, but I think they will be better than most people anticipate. I find it hard to believe that while we have the pedal to the metal in both monetary and fiscal policy and a war all going on at the same time coupled with high oil prices that inflation (at least the one that is reported) seems mild.

DS

#23     Apr 20, 2004
  4. doomsday hedge.............

a large stockpile of food and ammunition............

either one is useless without the other

#24     Apr 20, 2004
  5. What's so special about Gold that makes it the harbinger of wealth in times of crisis? I mean it's just a metal which is by far not even the most scarce in the world. It's kind of shiny and pretty but big whoop. Is it just a self-fullfilling prophecy in that everyone believes it to be a substitute for emergency currency? Personally I prefer Platinum jewelery. If there is a crisis, I'd want to be paid in food and guns, not really gold, I have enough necklaces. Can anyone enlighten this naive student? Thanks.

#25     Apr 20, 2004
  6. I am not a professional forecaster. Actually I have a trendSage software to pick up on future trend prices and that is promising so far but you can run the same logic in Wealth-lab.
    I am not a doom and gloom gold-bug who will hide out in Idaho.
    I am not afraid of a Mad Max scenario that much. I do think that
    in extreme case some national guard action and food rationing to all citizens, (illegals) possible if not probable. At any rate you can not always look back to see what's coming...and never look for Hollywood for reality and ideas...
    The Fed has and will lose all credibility (that little that has left) States will gain more power (as it should be)
    Those who (only) hoard food and ammo will lose out on some money making opportunity.

#26     Apr 20, 2004
  7. It is the store of wealth in cases when inflation and other circumstances had caused credibility loss in the Federal government and the paper they print so eagerly lately.
    Silver, Gold, art, food, land and real properties do and must take over in those cases.
    You can not look at 10 karat mexican gold or Mall gold for understanding gold. Many (smart) people already own coinage in gold and silver not so much in platinum. platinum however is good substitute if you have these emotional ties to it.

#27     Apr 20, 2004

8. Gold is always in high demand during economic peril due to the fact that women want to look good even during times of economic peril. The more perilous the times the more gold is demanded by the guys to make their wives believe they have enough gold on hand just in case she needs new necklaces and rings.

Believe it or Not.

#28     Apr 20, 2004
  9. Oh I thought that 90% of the price of jewelry was labor?

Michael B.

#29     Apr 20, 2004
  10. That's what they like you to belive....
    Most stuff has no(or very little) labor costs (chains, bullion) where is the labor there? I like the 18-22 karat - Asians buy at wholesale and for weight and that is the norm in India and other parts., Most of the US gold markets where people are more naive and less informed on true value, currencies and never had much hardships (aside the old timers who had lived through the 30's) - is for suckers.

I despise the asshole in the Mall who like to sell me some cheap looking 14-k crap and tells me that he is a designer and an 'artist' and then the pawnshop loans 5% on his 'art'...
    more and more people wake up to this and the fact that bullion collectors, diamond dealers are also scummy, but that is a whole new thread...

#30     Apr 20, 2004