how to strengthen my mind/brain? Does meditation work?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by mizhael, Jan 19, 2008.

1. My difficult times are:

(1) When my GF broke up with me;
    (2) When my boss demanded me to finish many things overnight;
    (3) When I lost huge amount of money in investment;
    (4) When bad news and difficult people arose ...
    (5) When the surrounding was noisy;
    (6) When I was angry or overly excited.

Attitude.

Example. "My GF broke up with me". My attitude: "Well, good, now that's out of the way" There is no rule saying you need to psyhco analyze your problem immediately. Get busy with something or someone else and figure out your gf in some other lifetime.

"Lost a huge amount of money" Good, that's another one out of the way. Ain't no different than a traffic detour. You are traveling down a new road.

Surrounding are noisy. In case you haven't noticed, people can get used to anything. Like the fortune teller said "I see in your future that you'll be broke for the first half of your life"

"Yes, and then?

"Then?" I see the second half of your life --- "you'll get used to it."

Difficult people? Never let them see you sweat.

Channel excitement into enthusiasm.

#11     Jan 19, 2008

2. "... Make every effort (be diligent) to add to your faith, goodness; and to goodness, knowledge."

#12     Jan 19, 2008
  3. Excellent post man, im guilty of it myself, letting the small things get to me, many of us are too blessed not to be happy every day

But to the OP, when im absolutley stressed out, i will either go to extremley early(6 or 7pm when i get home from work), and wake up early the next day with a fresh brain to put in work..... Or ill go to the gym, blast my head phones on full volume and lift until i cant stand anymore:p

#13     Jan 19, 2008
  4. jnbadger

jnbadger

I assume you meant go to "bed" extremely early. (Sorry to be picky)

I do the same thing. I force myself not to get up at midnight or so, and then I get up very early and work out.

Come to think of it, I wonder why I don't work out every single morning before work. I would trade much better. History has proven it. Perhaps it's time to re-visit that lifestyle. Working out at night is good, but getting that jolt of energy/confidence in the morning is priceless.

But sorry to digress.

To the OP, I don't know what your physical status is, but pushing yourself extremely hard physically will also relax your mind to the point of being able think more clearly, which leads to handling tough situations better.

I also agree with those who basically say "You need to be faced with difficult situations in order to strengthen yourself for similar situations down the road." There is no substitute.

I think we all have a tendency to think that once a difficult situation has passed, we're done with it, and that we won't have to deal with something like that again. Kind of like, "All right, thats over. Hopefully I never have to deal with that again." Instead, we need to deal with the current situation as best we can to prepare for the next one. There will be a next one. There always is.

#14     Jan 19, 2008
  5. Yup, bed is what i meant :D...... I like low impact excersise in the morning maybe like a hike or jog... but i would be way too stiff to lift first thing......When i say lifting all out i mean headphones to the max, pushing yourself to the limit for as long as you can, you will forget about most things in this state, and afterwards have small sense of euphoria and relaxation for the remainder of the night...

and to help you out with your one problem noise, i hate noise as well, especially when im about to go to sleep, otc ear plugs never worked well for me.... but i found these. www.earplugsonline.com let me tell you, they work better than anything ive tried

#15     Jan 19, 2008
  6. My friend, we have all been through these things before. Everybody has had to deal with most of what you listed.
    Point number 1 is especially devastating to some people - it definitely was for me - but it's a natural part of life.
    Point number 2 is is also something that everybody goes through, including myself, and can actually work to your benefit as you can revel in a sense of accomplishment once the impossible has been done.
    You aren't a trader until you've visited point three a number of times.
    Point four is another thing that everyone has to deal with. The way that people deal with bad news and difficult people is what differentiates them from others.
    Noisy surroundings, my friend, I have been through that too. In a past life I rented a room in a house where a fellow would be up at all hours of the night making loud noises in the kitchen which my room shared a wall with. I found a way to cope by getting earplugs.
    Point six could be a result from points one through five adding up and giving you a hard time. It's all in your head. If you want to talk to me about it some more send me a PM and we can talk over AIM.

#16     Jan 19, 2008
  7. What's your experience of practicing Buddism?

#17     Jan 20, 2008
  8. For the trading side, yes, I agree, you can practice by gradually taking larger and larger amount of risk ...

But for the social side: let's take GF as an example, every time I broke up, I have been feeling low for a few months and that affected my performance a lot and I even got fired once because of those bad feelings and low performance. You think I can afford the precious time in my life to practice the tolerance of break-up?

That's why I am seeking good approaches to strengthen my brain/mind physically and emotionally.

#18     Jan 20, 2008
  9. Sounds interesting.

However, will it affect the overall performance?

My goal is to train myself to be able to concentrate on important things in the next one hour, even though in the previous one hour, I just had a very difficulty time, such as divorce, to give one example.

It seems that this "Instant-Self-Hypnosis" will let me sleep, instead of letting me work energetically.

#19     Jan 20, 2008
  10. Mizhael, there is a book you need to buy right away

"The winning edge 2" by Andrienne Toghraie.

Professionally, she is trained in NLP, but her book is about how traders can avoid self-sabotage. The stories that she tells about traders shes worked with in the past are great.

There was a recent article by her in Stocks & Commodities.

I purchased the book recently and it was amazing. It addresses all the mental issues you are dealing with that can effect your trading in a negative way.

Its available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Edge-Traders-Investors-Psychological/dp/0966183711

Its easily worth 10-100x the price of a used copy ($29.95 + )

#20     Jan 20, 2008