How to Spot a Market Top The investing nirvana that has driven markets in recent years is under atta

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ajacobson, Nov 19, 2017.

1. ajacobson

ajacobson

The investing nirvana that has driven markets in recent years is under attack as central banks scale back stimulus
    [​IMG]
    The rally has driven up valuations, though strong economic performance has meant assets are pricey but not at extreme levels. Photo: European Pressphoto Agency
    By
    Ken Brown
    Nov. 19, 2017 7:00 a.m. ET
    84 COMMENTS

A da Vinci sells for $450 million, one bitcoin is worth $7,700 and 99-year-old Austria issues a 100-year bond at an interest rate of 2.1%. Clearly there is too much money in the world.

That isn’t new, but how long can it last? With central banks scaling back stimulus, investments that appear attractive when interest rates are near, or below, zero suddenly look silly. And silly investments usually lose money, often bringing down less silly assets along with them.

The end may come soon, or the current investing nirvana could go on. Heard on the Street walks through the risks and likely scenarios for markets in the coming months.

Many Happy ReturnsSome of the best performers of the past three years.Total returnTHE WALL STREET JOURNALSources: CoinDesk (bitcoin); Factset (Short VIX, FAANG, MSCI); St. Louis Fed (Merrill)*XIV, the VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Short-Term ETN †Equal-weighted total return of Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix,Google (Alphabet)
    BitcoinShort VIX*FAANG stocks†MSCI EM IndexMerrill U.S. High-Yield Index0%1,0002,0002505007501,2501,5001,750
    The rallies have driven up valuations, though strong economic performance has meant assets are pricey but not at extreme levels. Read More: Top of the Market? That Could Be a Good Thing

S&P 500 cyclically adjusted price/earnings ratioTHE WALL STREET JOURNALSource: Robert Shiller
    RECESSION1905’20’35’50’65’80’95’1005101520253035404550
    Investors are more confident than at any time since the tech bust, and high confidence typically means markets don’t perform well in the future. Read More: Why Worriers (Usually) Get the Market Wrong

Wells Fargo/Gallup Investor and Retirement Optimism IndexTHE WALL STREET JOURNALSource: GallupNote: Index dormant between October 2009-February 2011.
    RECESSION19982000’02’04’06’08’10’12’14’16-100-75-50-250255075100125150175200May 1, 2000x155
    The biggest and most widely acknowledged risk is in the bond market where central bank stimulus has driven yields to record lows. But as economies have picked up, investors haven’t demanded higher yields to compensate for the risk that rates will rise.

Read More: Bond Markets on the Edge

Yield spread of U.S. corporate bonds over U.S. TreasurysTHE WALL STREET JOURNALSource: ICE BofAML index via FactSet
    .percentage points2002’04’06’08’10’12’14’16’180.51.01.52.02.53.03.54.04.55.05.56.06.5
    The issue isn’t whether the market will crash, it is how much money investors will make, or lose, in the coming years. With cash sloshing around the global financial system, prices can go higher, but investors who buy at those prices shouldn’t expect their returns to match those earned in the past few years.

Read More: A Risky Corner of the Market With Room to Run

Private Equity Dry PowderMoney raised by private equity firms but not yet committedTHE WALL STREET JOURNAL

2. bone

bone

"The U.S. economy is heading into 2018 with strong momentum that’s likely to boost wages and inflation more broadly, requiring the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates four times next year, Goldman Sachs Group Inc. economists said in a research note.

The New York-based investment banking and securities firm raised its growth outlook for 2018 to 2.5 percent and lowered its forecast for unemployment to 3.7 percent by the end of 2018, said Goldman chief economist Jan Hatzius, a co-author of the note, which was released by email late Friday."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-four-2018-fed-rate-hikes-as-u-s-growth-gains

3. comagnum

comagnum

Historically the third or forth forth interest rate hikes have a stellar track record of knocking down stock markets. National & personal debt are at all time highs while savings are nearing all time lows. We are in one of longest business cycles/bull markets in history, built on debt expansion. I doubt this will end well based on history.

upload_2017-11-20_12-41-37.png

upload_2017-11-20_12-44-36.png

murray t turtle and bullmarket79 like this.
  4. bone

bone

comagnum likes this.
  5. ironchef

ironchef

Debt is only finally back to 2008 level but wealth surpasses 2008 by a wide margin so perhaps there is still room.

upload_2017-11-26_10-10-39.png

That said, thank you for the reminder and it is prudent for me, a small retail, to take some chips off the table to avoid been trampled by the professionals on their way out, a painful reminder of 2000 and 2008.

murray t turtle likes this.
  6. %%
    I maybe reading Co-magnums non candle-chart wrong, so always double check any comment, especially a non candle-chart LOL:caution:
    Also, partial disclosure,i like polar bear trends+ bull elephants trends+ i seldom fight any of those :DTo me + i dont work in a commercial bank-they love debt. BUT that looks like to much auto debt, too much , too much student loan debt, since about 1974/+, which is about where his chart shows savings= bear trend !![My banker dad paid cash for his education....]

DIA/Dow [ 30 older fine stocks more or less LOL]has always been an under-performer,[DIA maybe somewhat bearish, many times even in a bull market] except some 1929 = 1930s, mostly up... As far as bearish on teck stocks, no -I'm still elephnant bullish on most of those. Most of them are debt free , some do have debt, sold one in SEPT had over >>100% debt.:D I dont trade/ plan/trade for pennies, but i may pick a cash penny/$dollars up near me LOL:thumbsup: