How To Spot A Con Man

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Having moved to South Florida, I quickly discovered this area is crawling with schemers, dreamers and outright con men. I want to start this thread to share ways on how to spot someone who is out to con you.

My number one tell is that they insist on speaking with you or meeting with you PRIOR to sharing any details of their "deal or project".

They try to make you sign an NDA even if there is no reason for it. If they are so easy to go around, they don't have a relationship to begin with --

Another strong tell, which I learned from Rearden Metal on this site, and it has proven true is that they insist on calling you Buddy or Friend before they even know you.

Would like to see what others have used to smoke out these unsavory characters.

Thanks,

surf

Branzol likes this.
  2. Branzol

Branzol

Surf another big sign I've noticed over the course of my life is the redirection on a question you ask to something else. They do it in such a manner that a lot of people have a tough time realizing they just redirected.

marketsurfer likes this.
  3. Turveyd

Turveyd

Standard practices are.......

Become/pretend to be your friend
    Maybe do you a small favour so you feel you owe them
    Get you to invest a small amount of time / money into something, with the theory you won't want to be proven wrong and wasted either so you'll keep going.
    Obvisouly if it's too good to be true it is.
    Try to make it seem like it's a deal, just for you with a time limit, ie doing you a favour.

Most people will immediately when your gone with others, discuss you, set your phone to sound recording and accidentally leave it on the table, come back in 10mins and that's what is really up.

marketsurfer and Branzol like this.
  4. Trader13

Trader13

Interesting topic. The two tells I've noticed are: 1) they invoke references to religion and God, and 2) they emphasize how whatever they are selling will help your family and make you a better person.

marketsurfer likes this.
  5. Guile

Guile

Sometimes they use multiple aliases on internet forums...

BobbiDigital and Stewie like this.
  6. Interesting-- thank you! Another thing I have noticed is that when questioned specifically they don't answer.

7. Yes!! and there is often a charity aspectd beyond religion-- but as unfortunate as it may be, ,as soon as i learn the guy is an outspoken born again or other fundamental religion, I get very suspicious.

piezoe likes this.
  8. Another thing i have noticed is they rarely talk exact numbers-- its always a range like we need around $20 million for this deal or that----Real people know exactly what they need-- this isn't 100% but i have seen it.

Branzol likes this.
  9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

They drive fancy cars and/or wear expensive clothes to give you the illusion they are doing well.
    They mention things they've recently purchased for their spouses and girlfriends to make you feel like you would be able to do the same for the people you care about if you just jumped on the proposed deal.
    They act like they've already got their own money tied up in bigger deals which is why they are looking for your investment "in the small stuff".

d08 and Branzol like this.
  10. Two of the best books i have read on the subject are looking out for #1 and winning thru intimidation both by robert ringer

#10     Nov 25, 2015