How to spot a bogus guru

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jem, Mar 27, 2007.

1. hcour

hcour Guest

Have any of these ET "trading challenges" ever come off as promised? Ever? When I read the posts yesterday I almost commented something like "Yeah, right, and I wonder what the excuses will be tomorrow?" And lo and behold...

H

#41     Mar 29, 2007
  2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

when i get the bugs worked out of my bot it will trade on the chat room without any excuses. mb

#42     Mar 29, 2007
  3. <i>"Have any of these ET "trading challenges" ever come off as promised? Ever? When I read the posts yesterday I almost commented something like "Yeah, right, and I wonder what the excuses will be tomorrow?" And lo and behold... H"</i>

Well, I was present and accounted for. Would have happily posted all trades into the close, but it was just me and a number of stock traders from mid-morning into the closing bell.

I personally will never be involved in such a folly again. Matter of fact, there was no good reason for me to be present in the first place. All it did was cost me money, real money unrealized = lost.

If someone questions another's validity, let the challenger post live trade evidence first. There are way too many people in this forum mud-slinging others <b>who have never posted a live trade blotter</b> of their own. That includes the ever-growing number of Jack Hershey, PureTick and other endless thread sagas. Let everyone involved face-up their live trade performance each day they post... talk the talk, post the walk.

Wonder what that would do to ceaseless, b.s. chatter?

My policy is to give everyone benefit of doubt. If anyone feels the need to question someone else, that person damn sure better establish a basis of credibility as a trader themselves, first.

Trade challenges, such as they are, belong in a dedicated thread or the P&L 2007 thread as posted real-trade results, complete with trade platform page showing time & sales execution, etc.

The idea of making "trade calls" without proof of real money in action is ludicrous and indicative of bogus traders, period.

#43     Mar 29, 2007
  4. Hi austinp,

What were you trading?

I was a little surprised you got duped into such a challenge especially considering ET chat room is the worst setup for such (too many possible problems).

Much better to go to one of the IRC chat rooms used by many ET members...less conflicts and less pull on the computer CPU.

I've seen this before a few other times here at ET when eventually a trader that keeps being challenge, called names, personal attacks...

Gives in to the bully to post live calls and/or show brokerage statements (ex. Tony Oz versus Super)...

The other guys is either a no show or refuses to post his/her own statements.

I hope virgin doesn't dissapear like so many others here at ET have done after situations like this.

He does have some quality commentary when he's not attacking and challenging other traders.

Regardless, there will always be someone out there not satisfied with the proof:

* If you say your a profitable trader or post a few profitable trades at ET that weren't live calls...

Someone will say I want to see you do it in the chat room.

* Post your trades live in a chat room for all to see...

Someone will say I want to see a P/L statement.

* Post a P/L statement...

Someone will say its photoshoped (fake) or they say you could have multiple accounts.

* Invite someone to come watch you trade in person...

Someone will say it's beginners luck because one day doesn't represent anything.

Regardless, if someone is not use to posting live calls in a chat room especially if the live calls represents real money trading...

That's a lot of extra trading stress to be dealing with and I take my hats off to anyone that does that especially via a challenge by another trader even though I don't see anything positive via such a challenge.

P.S. I think these types of challenges are ridiculous and allows many to think such has resolved the real problem.

Mark

#44     Mar 29, 2007
  5. Completely Agree and the link below is a slightly different perspective...

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90651&perpage=1&pagenumber=27

Mark

#45     Mar 29, 2007
  6. virgin

virgin

for me, no woulda,coulda,shoulda's

posted within 10 seconds of execution

virgin (Mar 28, 2007 4:19:00 AM)
    sold 10 GBP/USD 1.9634

virgin (Mar 28, 2007 4:42:01 AM)
    buy 10 GBP/USD 1.9611

virgin (Mar 28, 2007 4:42:22 AM)
    +23 pips +2300 $

virgin (Mar 28, 2007 11:12:59 AM)
    for the record ; I already took a trade during european hours ; +23 pips on 10 GBP/USD 2300 $ --> see trade log

attached the chatlog

#46     Mar 29, 2007
  7. virgin

virgin

and here the tradelog

I made 3 trades but only called 1 trade in the room so disregard the other 2 trades, only trades called in the room count.

more to come than just 1 trade :cool:

We are waiting for your report, austinp....

#47     Mar 29, 2007
  8. <i>"Regardless, if someone is not use to posting live calls in a chat room especially if the live calls represents real money trading...

That's a lot of extra trading stress to be dealing with and I take my hats off to anyone that does that especially via a challenge by another trader.

By the way, what were you trading? Mark"</i>

I trade the ES and/or ER2

Posting live trade calls is nothing new to me. There is plenty of stress trading live money for anyone... every trader who works real money knows that.

The longer I'm here at ET, the more I realize how less is more. There are a number of very good people in this forum, obscured too much by the endless drone of negative, inane b.s.

I'll be spending much less time here myself for those reasons. Sifting thru the endless rubbish for worthwhile nuggets is getting pretty tedious. The concept of this site is great, but somewhere along the line human nature tends to drag it down.

I drop in ET to visit, hang out and have a virtual beer with trader peers. I don't come here to engage in an arm-wrestling match or big-screen viewing of the Jerry Springer show on every channel. Too often lately, that's all the crowd here has to offer.

#48     Mar 29, 2007
  9. Good trading Virgin although I don't think you and austinp should be involved in stuff like this.

You two should get back to the quality stuff of ET before all this Jack Hershey and Puretick stuff...

The stress not worth your time and energy.

However, let me get this straight...

There was a challenge.

Trading instrument not agreed upon...one trading Forex and the other trading Emini Futures.

It also seems like you both were in the chat room at differrent times but not at the same time accordingly to the chat room log posted by Virgin?

Did you guys agree upon a specific time to show up...

If not...why bother with this crap knowing your going to be trading different hours via a different trading instrument???

However, I only quickly read the log and it clearly shows each asking where the other trader is at.

I can also see that ET chat is not well moderated. :mad:

Simply, you guys weren't even on the same playing field.

Mark

#49     Mar 29, 2007
  10. virgin

virgin

I don't see this as a competition, just a demonstration to show some real trades.
    I traded only during the european morning this time , that's the reason for the questioning where I was, I was logged in but not posting much.
    I will keep it this way

austinp,

already backing of ?
    you said you would post your calls and blotter too...

Stress ? posting your live calls is less stressfull than running a hotcomm room, I think.

anyway, I am used to the lame excuses of vendors...:cool:

#50     Mar 29, 2007