How to Short with a LIMIT Order in IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by cutetrader, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Any one know if it possible to place a limit order to short a stock with IB?

Example: If AAPL is trading @112 now, I want to place a order to short 100 shares if the price drops below resistance of $110.

If I place a limit oder @110 IB will fill the order @112.

2. Metamega

Metamega

I don't use IB but their should be something like sell on stop

3. KDASFTG

KDASFTG

Greetings, I may be a bit dated on this reply, and please do correct me if I'm wrong since its been a long while since I traded a Stock, but isn't there still in existence a "Stock Uptick Rule" that says you can only Short a Stock on an uptick?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  4. comagnum

comagnum

5. "short a stock with IB?"
    Yes you may be able to do that!

That is an if and a limit order. You should create a contract and place the order. You need to specify: - "SELL" and 100 shares in the new order parameters.

I have a video that may help you:

You just change "BUY"...

6. zdreg

zdreg

7. You meant a STOP LIMIT ?

8. Yes, the rule is still in place.

9. Metamega

Metamega

Try it with some paper money. Stop limit should work. Stop generally means the activation price and limit will place the limit order.

IB could be completely different but I would think most brokers work similar.

In your above example

Sell

Order type : stop limit
    Stop price 110.00$
    Limit price. ( put limit orders here. Could be a marketable limit or whatever you want). They could also have a sell stop that is a market order but myself I always use marketable limit orders.

#10     Oct 10, 2016