How to short the S&P using options? Day & swing puts

Discussion in 'Options' started by KCalhoun, Sep 11, 2021.

1. cesfx

cesfx

No, not suggesting, just trying to learn too :D

True that Ken enquired about intraday and options are expensive.

I have noticed a few times the "unless you are trading the greeks, stick to D1 underlying" concept, and I try to understand why and how when it comes up.

#31     Sep 11, 2021
  2. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Brilliantly written, excellent points....you're right.

Trying to figure out how exactly to buy puts by 10am and sell around 3:30.... with best strikes, minimal slippage... ITM vs OTM tradeoff etc

Not sure what date to use in option chain.... this is all fascinating stuff but complicated. Eg if market starts dropping like a brick on monday and you want to buy puts at 10 and sell at 3:30 what's the trade? Is that a valid strategy?

Ditto for swing, let's say I want to buy SPY puts Monday morning and sell them on Friday, profiting if mkt drops all week, how's that trade look?

#32     Sep 11, 2021
  3. qlai

qlai

What durations? Weeklies?

#33     Sep 11, 2021
  4. Overnight

Overnight

No insult intended, but I hope your put buying fails miserably. All we hear from you is loving the inverses (bearish) and now wanting to buy puts (bearish.)

Well, this perma-bull hates people like you! lol!

#34     Sep 11, 2021
    KCalhoun likes this.
  5. taowave

taowave

Expensive relative to what??
    He's entering a new dimension where he now has to understand HV,IV, Theta relative to Delta,theta/gamma....

Not sure Ken has a plan formulated

#35     Sep 11, 2021
    Atikon, longandshort and KCalhoun like this.
  6. cesfx

cesfx

Relative to underlying trading, considering extrinsic value and bid/ask costs.

#36     Sep 11, 2021
  7. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

No plan true, not yet, everyone's posts are great insights to help. Right re small tests a good idea.

We'll likely get a bounce soon off S&P 50sma, headfake mon or tue Then correction, so getting ready for it

#37     Sep 11, 2021

8. Not going to happen.

#38     Sep 11, 2021
    Apologetik likes this.
  9. Dustin

Dustin

He doesn't have to understand any of that for a basic put/call buying strategy. All I do every day is trade options and none of that matters.

#39     Sep 11, 2021
    SPX Options Trader and BKR88 like this.
  10. Dustin

Dustin

What is not going to happen?

#40     Sep 11, 2021