How to sell your system

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by QUANTUM_QUANT, Sep 13, 2007.

1. I do understand people that sell their system instead of trading it themselves.
    Unforunatelly, this does’t mean that every system that is for sale is good.

Some people are very good in trading but lousy when it comes to developing a system, others are brilliant in development but lousy in trading. And very very few are good in developing AND trading.

So it is not illogical to sell a good system. I personally lost years because I was not able to trade my own system. I looked for help for what I call was a “mental problem”. Now I’m successful because I follow the rules of my system without emotions. But to know how difficult the emotional side of trading can be you have to have experienced the problem yourself for a few years. The problem to overcome was so tiny but the resistance was huge.

BTW: i don't like people who tell they are quants. To me that's a way to show off how smart they are. In trading you don't need to be a quant, so why mention it? To impress others?

#11     Sep 16, 2007
  2. vectors101

vectors101 Guest

nobody gives a damn because 10% per month is peanuts.

#12     Sep 16, 2007
  3. Yes, QUANT is who I am and what I do best. Why should I be ashamed of it? I don't need to impress others, I need people to know why I am! If you are a doctor why would you tell everybody that you are a plumber? When you go to your family physician wouldn't you like to see his name on the door?

#13     Sep 17, 2007
  4. It is peanuts for a small individual day trader. It is, however, a significant return for a serious trader or a hedge fund.

I have been in this business for more than 15 years, believe me, I know what I am talking about. :cool:

#14     Sep 17, 2007
  5. Tried it, does not work! I don't want to go any further because it is a topic for a totally different thread.

#15     Sep 17, 2007
  6. I will take my chances. Generally people are much more sincere than you might think.

#16     Sep 17, 2007
  7. I would have to disagree with the concept of a track record. To anybody who understands probabilities just a little bit it means exactly dick!

If I were to guess the outcome of a coin flipping game and predicted it correctly 80% of times on a 100 flips trial will it make me a 80% reliable coin predictor?

No trial length, no real record could be a proof of a successful system. Market conditions could change on a dime and all of your “track records” are not even worth the paper they are written on.

I propose a much better approach. I am able to explain why it will work, how consistent it will be and why there would be no market conditions to break it! How is that for a change? Then I am prepared to let you try it and use your own experience to assess the results and on top of it I am prepared to back it up with the money to cover your potential drawdowns. And I will do it if, of course, if you are as serious as I am.

#17     Sep 17, 2007
  8. It only doesn't work if the system you are selling doesn't work.

The top ones do reasonably well. And there are few systems there that work.

#18     Sep 17, 2007
  9. Sorry to say it, but this is precisely why no one is interested (and why no one should be interested).

M

#19     Sep 17, 2007
  10. Good! I am glad we established this. There is nothing I want to prove here at all. Have a good trading!

#20     Sep 17, 2007