How to sell something

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Lucias, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Lucias

Lucias

I want to share how the marketeers get you to buy stuff

Case and point: Pepsi Throwback

They had a few of these out at the store. I like them and prefer them. They pulled them all! Can't get them anywhere. DEMAND soars. Then they flood the market with them and advertise blitz them 24/7.

This fake supply trick is how some of the best marketeers sell their product.

Now, the funny thing is that a lot of these guys, let me say a lot of guys will go to a good marketeer and beg for product. But, when someone (like myself) offers them something of real value: they get angry. Why? Because the marketeer packages his product as "no risk" whereas anything of real opportunity has risk. An example would be a vendor who offers a "free trading system" but you have to deposit $500 into a no-name broker. This is a RISK and a big hassle. You are expected to trade the system. This is a COST and a RISK. However, if you go to these same individuals and ask them to buy the system for $200 they would balk.

The average person is easily manipulated. I'm not beyond it either. But, I recognize how the manipulation occurs.

I wrote about on this my blog:

People are attracted to bargains but eschew opportunities.
    http://themarketpredictor.com/Details/2010/12/10/Opportunity

I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't what that snake oil, Rubert Murdock was doing. He pulls the tabloid. Demand soars. He claims to take the high road and shortly thereafter releases a new one.

2. A decent book on how we get sold things is...
    "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion" by Cialdini.

I highly recommend this book!

ciao,
    gastropod

3. Visaria

Visaria

Interesting, Lucias. But nothing new. Cadbury's (of the UK) did this about 20 years ago with the introduction of the Wispa chocolate bar. Slick advertising. Public loved the product. They then pulled the bar. You couldn't obtain it anywhere. Demand soared, public was in a frenzy. They then reintroduced it.