How to sell paintings and prints?

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by bookish, Jun 5, 2018.

1. bookish

bookish

Over the last few years I've bought a bunch of paintings and prints. I bought them just because I liked them and they were cheap. It turns out some of them are worth money. One was estimated at 30,000 because all the other prints along with the original have been destroyed. This one is damaged and has a hazy red appearance due to exposure to fumes from some chemical.

The thing is I know most art dealers have ethics that even a pawn broker would look down on. I've heard of lying, cheating, accusing a seller of trying to steal a painting that the seller brought into the shop, breaking into peoples houses to steal paintinges after a phone call and so on.

Any advice?

2. speedo

speedo

Art auction house.

bookish likes this.
  3. Many aren't worth the paper it's on. Appraisals cost money, did you get what you paid for, I mean hear. Ask the appraiser to buy it for half of appraised value and see what he says. Keep on reducing the amount until he buys it, that is how much it's really worth. Good luck!

traderob and bookish like this.
  4. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

https://paddle8.com/

They specialize in artwork. I sold(auctioned) several Miro lithographs though Paddle8 a few years ago. Received good prices for that time period. Process is professional and on the up and up. Only "complaint" I had was the time it takes to complete (ie. receive funds), especially if buyer is overseas. I'm in USA. Would I use Paddle8 again for selling/buying artwork? YES!

bookish likes this.
  5. Good luck finding miro today. You would have bought them in the 60's. Post pics or i'm calling bs ...

6. tango29

tango29

I'm currently in a similar position, but with inherited artworks. I found MIR Appraisal Services, and from what I can find they are reputable. I'm initially using their digital appraisal service. It's not free, but compared to what I found locally to have our artworks looked at, a more reasonable price. I'll post back my experience as I go through the process. I'll alos take a look at the previously mentioned Paddle8.

bookish likes this.
  7. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Eat shit pal.
    First of all, you are not the OP, therefore you are jsut a troll.
    Secondly, OP, troll, or anyone else, I dont need to prove my transaction or my ownership of artwork or anything to some jerkoff on the internet.
    Lastly, I call bs on you for pretending to know anything about the art world. Miro is easily available.

Again, eat shit pal.

bookish likes this.
  8. Then i can call BS. Is that what you're having for lunch! I know BS when I see it ...

9. You're the one eating BS. We called it and you're eating it . hahaha That I believe ...