How to sell common stock certificates

Discussion in 'Politics' started by no_agenda, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. My grandmother has hundreds of shares of common stock in PAPER form in her possession. The actual stock certificates (not sure if "certificates" is the right word or not).

    Now she wants to sell the stock but she doesn't have a broker.

    How can she redeem her stock? Does she have to get a broker or can she sell it back to the company or something?

    If she does have to get a broker, what kind of fees can she expect to have to pay to redeem the stock? Are there fees to handle the physical stock certificates?

    I'm thinking the easiest thing may be to join a broker, give him or her the stock to handle, and once it's deposited in her new account just sell it electronically.

    Suggetions appreciated.