how to save a tax from capital gains legally?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by trend2009, Jan 18, 2010.

1. I'm not giving advice, just having a discussion. However, people do just up and decide where to call home. You may know of the case of Tom Golisano:

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/05/20/billionaire-to-new-york-screw-you/

Clearly, there are measures that have to be taken to establish a home in a given state, but one is free to take them and they're not necessarily prohibitively difficult.

#31     Jan 22, 2010
  2. all states have time limits to establish residency for taxes that you must document. most are 50% or more time must be spent in that state.
    you cant just buy a home in a low tax state and call it your residence.

#32     Jan 22, 2010
  3. Thanks for responding. I'm enjoying this opportunity to continue my research on this subject.

I'm pretty sure at least one of the tax-free states doesn't have any time limit to establish residency: Washington. That's the one I was considering using as a tax haven for numerous reasons, and have looked into that one more than the others. On the following site, the requirements are spelled out for establishing residency in WA, at least for purposes of government assistance. You'll notice #2 on the list of requirements states how one "does not need to live in the state for a specific period of time to be considered a resident."

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/manuals/eaz/sections/Residency.shtml

The Department of Revenue of Washington state spells out the state's requirements yet more thoroughly:

http://dor.wa.gov/content/contactus/con_residdef.aspx

As you can see, it is easy to become a resident of Washington, and there is no requirement of maintaining a physical presence there for any specific length of time. Note the site's use of the expression "any of the following," as opposed to "all of the following," suggesting that if any one of the criteria on the list are met, the full requirements of residency are satisfied. Admittedly, my only sources on this matter are government websites such as these. If they're misleading or I'm missing something, please let me know.

In any case, my real concern is how the Franchise Tax Board of California, the state where I spend most of my time currently, would feel about losing their handout. Maybe this topic ought to be turned around to address the question of how long one can spend in a given state WITHOUT being considered a resident.

#33     Jan 23, 2010
  4. "how long one can spend in a given state WITHOUT being considered a resident" is a real concern.

#34     Jan 23, 2010
  5. Wyoming is also a promising place. They have become a strong alternative to Delaware and Nevada to incorporate.

#35     Jan 23, 2010
  6. Lorenzo

Lorenzo

7. Thanks, TraderZones, for the tip. They appear to be another one that doesn't levy state income taxes and has flexible requirements for residency.

#37     Jan 23, 2010
  8. for people who travel fulltime in RVs, South Dakota is usually #1 choice - amazingly flexible, including no auto inspections. Do a search, and you will get the idea.

#38     Jan 23, 2010
  9. Johno

Johno

Of course if you lived in Gods own country "Australia" and were reasonably astute you would be laughing! Before reading this thread I didn't realize that you had it so tough with the taxman! Good luck in the search!

Best Regards

Johno

#39     Jan 23, 2010
  10. inet

inet

What is residence requirement for Nevada? Thanks.

#40     Jan 24, 2010