How to Salvage a Ruined Position?

Discussion in 'Options' started by monkeyjoe, Apr 17, 2013.

1. donnap

donnap

Borrow appeared briefly at IB yesterday, now gone.

Probability of assignment high, if not already. Why would holders, hold? Sucks being OI.

Many have been in messes of our own making. No free money, eh? Hopefully, lessons learned.

15/40 was too wide. Short call was problematic from the start. You got the credit because of the box structure and borrow. But survival of the wide box isn't likely.

Sizing is important. Flexibility is important.

Looking at scenarios. What can go wrong. Borrow costs may have been surprising, but at least considered. And had the borrow eased, early assignment would still be a factor with either puts and/or calls. Of course, at least the box would be profitable in that scenario.

#31     Apr 19, 2013
  2. Yeah, definitely learned my lesson. Fwiw, got back about $1.50/share when the borrow came down and closed out 4 contracts. It might actually be better to wait to get assigned, saves me the wide spread on the 15 calls.

#32     Apr 19, 2013
  3. donnap

donnap

Yeah, thanks for posting that. It's a pretty interesting example.

I'm sure I've been there, done that.

It sounds like you got a better handle on the trade now.

Just gotta manage any assignment.

#33     Apr 20, 2013
  4. I do not understand why did you make it so wide? especially if you could not handle it reaching up there?

It seems pointless to do so if you cannot handle to position hitting 40 for example.

#34     Apr 22, 2013
  5. cvds16

cvds16

+1

#35     Apr 22, 2013
  6. It was a mistake. It wouldn't be a problem except UNXL is hard to borrow, and the borrow got worse. Of course, HTB was the only reason I could put the box on for a credit anyway... so like I said, noob mistake.

Needed wide strikes to make it a credit.

#36     Apr 22, 2013
  7. You may as well be typing cyrillic as the joker has no concept of the risks associated with a box in a single-name. He just feels the need to comment as my dog feels the need to bark.

#37     Apr 22, 2013
  8. Options... it's all Greek to me! :cool:

Time to turn this into a pun thread.

#38     Apr 22, 2013
  9. donnap

donnap

FWIW, these boxes exist all the time. I was looking at the USO 31.5/32 May box today, and saw about a .15 credit at mid. But just try to get mid.

It looked pretty good until you think about costs. What do you suppose the probabililty is of this box making it to expiry? It straddled ATM.

Whatever, look at costs. Not worth it.

#39     Apr 23, 2013
  10. I didn't get mine at mid, but I did better than the ask. The real problem is finding one where the stock is not HTB, and not going HTB through the life of the spread (hard to guarantee). That way, getting assigned just means you hold the short/long position til expiry. Problem here is holding an assigned short position is impossible because it's HTB and the float is tiny.

#40     Apr 23, 2013