How to run TWS on Linux?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by CFerret, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Hello everyone -

Trying to migrate on Linux (Debian Etch), but experiencing problems with launching TWS.

Downloaded UNIX version, enter command line like recommended on IB site, but nothing happens, it just stays this way until I press Ctrl+C and abort a program execution.

JRE (1.6.0_02) is installed too of course.

I would really appreciate if someone share their experience on running TWS under Linux and help me with this problem.

Thanks in advance!
    Janis

2. Solved problem with TWS start (run a search on ET and found out I used a wrong version of java executable first).

Now TWS login screen loads, but returns "invalid username or password" though I am pretty sure they are OK.

What can this be caused by?

3. I've never had any problem on any Linux distribution.

Your DISPLAY environment variable is correct ?

eg DISPLAY=:0.0

You could try adding -verbose Java option to the tws startup command line and see if that provides additional info.

I am running on Kubuntu 7.04 64 bit with 64 bit JVM without any problem.

4. Don't know about display, but it loads a login screen now (I have read your post in another thread and used full path to JRE, it really helped), just it says "incorrect login or password" now. So seems like it's not a display problem.

I suspect maybe wrong server is set up in .ini. Will compare it to Windows file and see if it works.

5. Just tried to switch server to one in windows file, it didn't work.

But when i switched back it eventually worked and I must say TWS seems to work faster under Linux than under Windows and eats almost twice less memory.

Don't know what exactly helped, maybe just the fact I was rebooting a machine.

But bottom line - it works and I like how. :D